Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Disgusted by people's behavior

Reality

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 5:16 pm
A couple of things happpened to me at the park yesterday that got me REALLY upset. So my kids are on the swing minding their own business when a little boy starts pushing them on their backsides. They didn't want him touching them so I told him to stop. The next thing I knew (this kid was FAST I was RIGHt there) he flipped the swing out from under both of them so they were on the floor crying!! I tried to catch him to deliver him to his mom but he got away.

OK, a little while later he come's over to me & starts kicking me in the shin over & over so I grab his wrist & start demanding where his mom is. He won't say & another mother tells me everyone wants to know where is mom is he is tormenting everyone. The little wild Indian wriggles away from me & starts bothering another little girl. Her mom grabs him & marches over to his mom (I followed her) all the way on the other side of the park yucking it up with her friends & says your son is bothering people & I don't want you to get ambarrassed (sp?)

I was speachless!! Who was the worse one in this story? The oblivious mom not watching her wild child at all or the mom who only cared about her precious darling?

I am disgusted. Puke

Reality

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 5:43 pm
Bump

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 8:16 pm
sounds like a real bratty child. That is disgusting behavior on all the moms parts. Hope your shins are feeling better.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 8:31 pm
there should be park patrol ...

poor kid probably doesn't get any attention from his mother so he unburdens his little soul fighting the playground ...

someone needs to do something ... but what What

Love My Babes

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:56 pm
although im so not the type to say anything, I dont think the woman who did is so wrong. u explained how he hurt your kids. they could have really gotten hurt. the mother should be watching her kid. my daughter has also gotten hurt by others who obviously dont care so much. if im not gonna say it to her, at least someone else will.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 10:42 pm
I would have totally brought him over to his mom, if he couldn't keep his hands to himself. When my oldest was 2 she was playing on the climber in the park. This 5 year old kid wants to climb & decides she's in his way. So he picked her up & started dragging her off the play structure. I was there really fast & he complained that my dd was 2 young to play there. I told him that if he didn't put my kid down & let her play, I was going to have to tell his mother. He put her down after that, but I was so mad. I would've called his mother on it. And I would've expected her to do something about it. I see nothing wrong with that.

nudnick

Post Fri, Sep 04 2009, 9:28 am
You mums are all too nice. I grew up in a really tough area and learnt to deal with bullies. I would have told the yapping mum that

1. her child's behavior is totally inappropriate and
2. if she cannot control him and teach him disipline I will report her to Social Services [or whatever the American equivalent is] as a neglectful parent.

This would have made me somewhat unpopular with the "yappers", but I wouldn't an to join that crowd anyway.

Best of luck.

Fox

Post Fri, Sep 04 2009, 9:46 am
I completely understand everyone's viewpoint, and it sounds like the "marching mom" acted appropriately under the circumstances.

However, can I just add a caveat:

Don't get too far up on your "high horse," because the vast majority of us end up on the receiving end of a complaint about our children at some time or other. No matter how disgusted you may feel in the moment, think about how you would want another parent to approach you.

When someone approaches a parent with an attitude of "your child is a brat; my darling children were raised right and would never do anything like that" -- it's wrong on two counts: first, the parent being accused will become defensive and won't listen; and second, the accusing parent sounds stupid and/or obnoxious, even if he/she is actually right.

I firmly believe that there is as much unpleasantness caused by indignant parents as by bratty kids!

Reality

Post Sat, Sep 05 2009, 6:25 pm
Fox wrote:
I completely understand everyone's viewpoint, and it sounds like the "marching mom" acted appropriately under the circumstances.

However, can I just add a caveat:

Don't get too far up on your "high horse," because the vast majority of us end up on the receiving end of a complaint about our children at some time or other. No matter how disgusted you may feel in the moment, think about how you would want another parent to approach you.

When someone approaches a parent with an attitude of "your child is a brat; my darling children were raised right and would never do anything like that" -- it's wrong on two counts: first, the parent being accused will become defensive and won't listen; and second, the accusing parent sounds stupid and/or obnoxious, even if he/she is actually right.

I firmly believe that there is as much unpleasantness caused by indignant parents as by bratty kids!

I have to agree with your point. It is SO true that plenty of times parents blow up over normal behavior. I was at a children's museum one day & the parents were cursing each other out like crazy because a 2 year old took a block from another 2 year old. So I totally understand what you mean. I also want to add that I take my kids to the park every day & I see kids misbehave all the time. It's normal. They are kids. But there was something wrong with this child. He was out to hurt every person that crossed his path.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette