Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
At what point do you switch to the next seasons clothes?

Shalshelet

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 6:25 pm
I've got heavier weather clothes upstairs in bins. It's starting to get colder now, so I'm not wearing the summer outfits I had been wearing all summer, but a few days ago it was really warm. The weather is "in between" still. How do you survive? Do you bring the bin down and keep it in a room till the weather stabilizes?

Your suggestions are appreciated!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 6:29 pm
I keep my fall/spring things in my closet always. When it starts getting cold for courdoroy or summer for short sleeves I put away the other clothes and take out those. I do that for my kids. I don't need to do it for myself because I have a big closet. I will probably rearrange the kids stuff before succos when short sleeves is not worn anymore.

Shalshelet

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 6:32 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I keep my fall/spring things in my closet always. When it starts getting cold for courdoroy or summer for short sleeves I put away the other clothes and take out those. I do that for my kids. I don't need to do it for myself because I have a big closet. I will probably rearrange the kids stuff before succos when short sleeves is not worn anymore.

Thanks flowerpower! So, you would recommend that we switch now (even though it is still sometimes warm outside)?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 6:37 pm
No, just for the future don't store the long sleeved cotton stuff and leave it one one pile on the closet. In a week or two when it gets chilly you can change the summer/winter stuff then. It's good to have a hoody on hand so when it gets cold in the afternoon you just throw it on.

queen

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 7:37 pm
sukkos and pesach...........

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 7:40 pm
I have 3 types of outfits: shorts, thin cottons, and heavy winter. the heavy winter stuff we only start wearing when it starts getting really cold, like in November. Right now my son is wearing cotton pants with short sleeves when it's hot and long sleeves when it's cold.but it's not winter clothes yet.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 7:42 pm
We usually switch over, starting with Rosh Hashana.
But we do as flowerpower does, and don't put the more summery stuff away, or switch over entirely yet, until it gets much colder. (Succos.)

bubby

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 7:52 pm
I have a bigger problem. My family plays Fashion Police...G-d forbid I wear anything white after Labor Day. And BTW, I'm talking about DH & my DS's! Rolling Eyes

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:17 am
queen wrote:
sukkos and pesach...........

Yup, I was going to say the same.

louche

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 7:45 am
I don't have separate cold and hot weather wardrobes and don't put anything away-away for the season. You can do that when you use the "real estate method" of wardrobe control, which is a fancy way of saying "don't have more clothes than fit in your bedroom closet and drawers."

Most of my things are medium-weight and worn all year round. The synthetic blouses that feel like a plastic bag in the dog days of summer just stay in the closet in July and August, gradually getting pushed to the side as I iron and rehang the 100% cottons that get worn and washed, worn and washed. The synthetics then come back into regular use as the heat index moderates. Yes, my wardrobe is more varied in winter because then I wear almost everything that's in the closet, not just whatever is coolest. It's pretty boring in summer because I have fewer clothes, but then, in all that sticky heat, I'd just as soon not have to decide "what to wear, what to wear".

My sweaters are stored in a drawer together with all-cotton knit T-shirts. In winter I wear the sweaters under my suit jackets, sometimes with a T-shirt underneath, and in summer I wear the T-shirts alone. My heavier, darker suits get dry-cleaned, covered in white pillowcases, and hung in the less accessible corners of the closet. This happens around Pesach when we're doing mass dry-cleaning anyway. My lighter suits go through the same process usually after Sukkos.

Winter coats get washed or dry cleaned around Pesach or a little after and hung back in the coat closet.

gryp

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 8:02 am
I can't stand when the weather is in between seasons. It means I have all the clothing out and nothing stored away. The clutter drives me nuts.

It looks like summer's going away fast though, so I expect to switch over Sukkos time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics