Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Asking for a raise

amother

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 9:29 pm
Does anyone have tips on how to ask for a raise? I am still at the starting salary and I know the economy is bad, but I really need a raise.
TIA

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 9:34 pm
First of all talk in confidence and praise yourself, second of all you can start by saying that you are working for ...amount of months and you feel that you are a big asset to the company and you feel its time for a raise. Good luck!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 8:34 am
Have a tangible argument why the company/boss should give you a raise. Do you have something to prove--increased sales, contribution to the firm's bottom line, increased responsbilities, your current salary vs comparable market standard (if any and relevant)?

Don't bother pleading for your personal circumstances (more kids, school tuition etc). It is irrelevant and not professional.

sky

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:13 am
Make a list for yourself beforehand of work you have done to help the company and where you are important to them so that you can prevent your case. I don't know what your position is but sometimes if you have a title change - like lose the jr title or move up in titles - it comes with a larger salary raise then just getting a raise.

skymile

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:31 am
http://humanresources.about.co.....e.htm

if you can't find it, just type: "how to ask for a raise" in google

Fox

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:24 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Have a tangible argument why the company/boss should give you a raise. Do you have something to prove--increased sales, contribution to the firm's bottom line, increased responsbilities, your current salary vs comparable market standard (if any and relevant)?

Don't bother pleading for your personal circumstances (more kids, school tuition etc). It is irrelevant and not professional.

Thumbs Up

Speaking of practical education for girls (I'm referring to another thread, here), I wish every school would offer a one-semester course in "Career Development" or some similar title. I'd always thought it was pretty obvious that issues like the cost of babysitters or the price of meat are not relevant to asking for a raise, but apparently not. I've have employees base their entire request on the fact that they "need" more money. Well, stand in line; don't we all?!

Mrs. Bissli is absolutely correct. Make the case that giving you a raise is in the company's best interests. Given the economic climate, you may also want to think of alternatives. For example, some companies may be reluctant to give raises because they are making a relatively permanent commitment (I.e., they won't be easily able to take back the raise if sales are unexpectedly lower, etc.). Ideas like bonuses based on performance, pre-tax benefits, etc., are often welcome -- they show that an employee is thinking of the firm's well-being, not just his/her own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics