Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Salmon gefilte fish

momaleh

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 1:04 pm
I brought a frozen salmon fillet that is not high quality, so I want to use it for gefilte fish. Anyone done this before? I have done it in the past with a regular gefilte fish recipe and I think it came out dry. Anyone know how to change the recipe to make it suitable for salmon?
Alternatively, anyone have other recipes for a low quality salmon?

SingALong

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 7:17 pm
I actually made it in the same recipe juice that I make for regular salmon, form balabusta's choice.

I saute onions in sugar, when sugar is melted I add lemon juice, water, a bay leaf, and vinegar and salt. when the water is boiling, I add a bit more sugar, lemon juice and water, and add the salmon roll. it came out very good, not too dry and a nice accompaniment to the gefilte fish, they each had their own taste

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 7:50 pm
is there a difference which fish you are using? I don't think so.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:30 am
if you let it defrost slightly, along with a gef fish loaf, you can slice the long way, smish them together, and then refreeze.

you get a nice striped fish from that !

momaleh

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:51 am
I think you are all misunderstanding me - this is not a salmon loaf, it is a fillet, just not top quality, so I want to use it to make gefilte fish from scratch. Salmon is a dry fish, so I think a typical recipe would need a little tweaking to work - get it?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:53 am
momaleh wrote:
I brought a frozen salmon fillet that is not high quality, so I want to use it for gefilte fish. Anyone done this before? I have done it in the past with a regular gefilte fish recipe and I think it came out dry. Anyone know how to change the recipe to make it suitable for salmon?
Alternatively, anyone have other recipes for a low quality salmon?

If you'd like a recipe for chilled salmon with dijon dipping sauce, let me know. Sauce is so delish, any salmon will do.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 12:07 pm
momaleh wrote:
I think you are all misunderstanding me - this is not a salmon loaf, it is a fillet, just not top quality, so I want to use it to make gefilte fish from scratch. Salmon is a dry fish, so I think a typical recipe would need a little tweaking to work - get it?

I don't think salmon is a dry fish esp if you compare to cod or pollock which dry out more if overcooked. Quite contrary, I think it is rather oily esp if it's "not top quality" as you describe. When I get cheap (ie fatty) cuts of salmon, I make it into the same paste as in gefilte fish but pan-fry into patties instead of boiling it. That way I get to drain excess oil.

momaleh

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 2:31 pm
My frozen fillet is far from fatty. Perhaps fresh salmon that is low quality is fatty? I think it's usually the opposite, but in any case, that sounds yummy Smile

momaleh

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 1:02 pm
Oh, and Ra mom, can I have your recipe please?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 1:08 pm
momaleh wrote:
Oh, and Ra mom, can I have your recipe please?

Chilled Salmon with Dijon Dipping Sauce

• 8 salmon fillets, about 2 pounds
• 1 Tbsp dried dill flakes or 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
• 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes or 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
• ¼ tsp kosher salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
Sauce
• ¾ cup light mayonnaise
• 2 Tbsp Dijon-style mustard
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 1 tsp prepared minced garlic
• 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
• ¼ tsp sugar
• ¼ tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 450° F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Rinse fillets and pat dry. Place in prepared pan.
In a small bowl, mix the dill, parsley, salt and pepper.
Sprinkle seasoning mixture over each fillet.
Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 12 to 15 minutes or until desired doneness.
While salmon is cooking, prepare sauce. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well to blend.
Chill salmon and sauce separately in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve sauce on the side.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics