Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Electric skillet - fear of commitment

bella

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 11:39 am
Someone gave me an electric skillet and it's been sitting in my living room for weeks. I can't decide if I should use it for pareve, fleishig, milchig; keep it for Pesach, and then again the question of pareve, fleishig, milchig...

If you have one, what do you use it for? Quite frankly, I never bought one because I never thought I would have a use for one.

The only thing that came to mind that may be useful is to commit to a "flavor" and use it if I go someplace where there's no kosher kitchen, like a hotel (which I've never done in almost 20 years of marriage) or visiting family or friends who don't keep kosher, which I do often.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 11:42 am
I also got one from someone, and I made it parve.

I've used it for pancakes/french toast....I think there's other uses esp if you have a troop to cook for.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:47 pm
what's the point of an electric skillet vs. a stovetop frying pan?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:51 pm
Mine's WAY bigger than a frying pan...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 3:17 pm
I bought one with a gift card and used it for milchings, mainly for Shavous. When we moved I gave it away and my kids never forgave me !

A friend uses hers for fried chicken on Pesach and do not ask how delicious that is !!!!

bella

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:09 pm
For the sake of shalom with your kids, I'd send you mine:-) Every suggestion - here and from RL friends I can counter with, but I have a pan that I use for that...or I don't make that...

I have a fleishig pan with a cover that I've used for fried chicken, but truthfully, I haven't made fried chicken in years. I have a large michig fry pan, as well as a large pareve one.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:32 pm
The reason ours was so great for milchigs was mainly for Shavous, so we could have hot dairy without keeping a separate stove on. If that doesn't interest you, forget it.

Ditto fried chicken on Pesach. If you have another way to prepare what you need, skip it.

Is there a time you need a separate appliance - when visiting family, before Pesach, in a summer home, on a trip? Think outside the box.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:40 pm
I would say fleishig. you could leave on a time switch for yom tov and use it to cook/heat up food, and if you go away it will also be handy. you can still make (soymilk) pancakes and eggs in it for breakfast, and cook chicken or meat for supper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen