Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby hates solids!

Alef Bais

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 11:24 pm
My baby will be 7 months by Rosh Hashana. I started her on solids a week ago and she hates it. She much rather nurse.

Any suggestions?

ray family

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 1:37 am
unless you have a reason not to why not keep nursing?
dd didnt start solids until she was 9+ mos and ds till he was nearly a year
both remained in the 75-85 percentiles while they were nursing

drumjj

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 2:41 am
mine hates hers too join the club

Alef Bais

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 1:28 pm
drumjj, thanks for sympathizing. I think our babies were born about the same time.

Ray, I never said anything about stopping to nurse.

My boys started solids at 6 months and actually ATE it, in addition to nursing. With my baby now, I'm lucky if I get her to eat 2 spoonfulls of baby cereal or a jar. I don't have the koach to be her sole source of food because nursing really exhausts me. I would like her to get some nutrition from solids. She's already closer to 7 months than 6. I wondered if anyone had any tricks?

The only thing that worked a drop for me is to trick my baby into opening her mouth and sneaking the spoon in, but that doesn't work for more than a few seconds and she mostly spits it all out. After that, her mouth is clamped shut.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 1:30 pm
it takes 2 weeks until they learn the joy. Every day 2 spoons until they get the hang of it. Don't give up! Also, start with apples so that she likes the good stuff in life.

Alef Bais

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 2:25 pm
Thanks for the encouragement, ShakleeMom.

I started with apples. Let's just say she's not exactly a fan. You should see the sour faces she makes! It's a riot.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 3:08 pm
give her some finger foods she can gum, like soft bread with apple spread or avocado. or something else she can eat herself. cheerios, corn pops, something she can feed herself.

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Sep 12 2009, 10:59 pm
My daughter wasn't big on solid foods till she was about 8 months. And I agree with Mama Bear. When I started giving her food that was less mushy and something she could pick up, she gained more interest. (And she didn't have any teeth then either!)

Also, for months, I would put applesauce in everything she ate. Or hid other foods in applesauce. That was the only way I could get her to eat sometimes.

Good luck.

pina colada

Post Sat, Sep 12 2009, 11:19 pm
I would hold off and try again in a few days. Maybe when you reintroduce it she will be more interested.

drumjj

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 3:37 am
alef gosh it sounds just like my baby and she doesnt like the apple either she gives a little shake of her body and spits it out. ive been doing it for nearly two weeks now and its hopeless. also I cant really give finger foods bec I was told not to give gluten so what else can u give. im very disappointed with where I live and the lack of help im getting from the health care proffesionals.

Alef Bais

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:24 pm
We are finally making a breakthrough! For the first time ever, my baby finished a bowl of cereal (mixed with banana). She likes banana a lot better than apples! She actually seemed hungry for more! It's funny because when I tried to feed it to her earlier at the same meal, she only took 2 spoonfuls and was done, but for the fun of it, when the rest of the family finished supper, I tried to feed her some more from her bowl and this time she seemed to love it! Maybe by watching everyone else eating supper started giving her a clue?

Mama Bear, I put your ideas to action and tried giving her some finger foods. Cheerios provide her with an activity even if she hasn't managed to get any in her mouth, she's busy trying to grab them into her hand. On Shabbos she got a piece of challah that she truly enjoyed sucking on.

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:36 pm
Liora also likes bananas much better than apples. So far she hasn't really eaten plain apples but I can mix it with the banana and she eats it. Also, maybe it's too thick for her? The first few feedings I mixed with breastmilk. Maybe try that? (or formula if you give it to her)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:43 pm
You can try in a few days again. Ever give a pretzel or something she can hold on her own? Maybe try different stuff. My kids hated certain foods.

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 10:43 pm
Two weeks really makes a difference to a baby starting solids!!!

My baby is getting used to the idea of eating her food and not just drinking it. She tried carrots today and ate half the jar. She finally likes to suck on pretzels, it helps her teething! My husband gave her a chicken bone to suck on and she went nuts for it Smile

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 10:47 pm
So It's official, I now have Ruach Hakodesh....

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 10:55 pm
I guess you can say that Shaklee.....so what lottery ticket numbers will win? Wink

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 11:03 pm
and why would I answer that publicly...

drumjj

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 3:25 am
im glad ur 2 weeks makes a difference mine has not

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 3:28 am
some babies are just not ready for solids at half a year or even 9 months. some just need more time.

I was told that it is VERY important NOT to force the food into the baby's mouth, ever. that will just introduce eating issues later in life. just wait a few days or a week or so and try again. there is no rush. there is also no magical and secret formula to when a baby will be ready to try eating. its just trial and error.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics