Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
What a disaster

malki22

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 10:04 am
Some one once wrote on here how they freeze the challah plaited but not baked. So last week I tried it. I froze the challah after it had risen and then I plaited it and put it in the freezer. I aslo made 2 challas with that same batch of dough that turned out beautiful.

This week my husband took out the dough out 4 in the morning to give it enough time to defrost and rise (this was in oppose to last night bc some one mentioned to me that then they would rise to much and loose shape) and at 2 in the afternoon they were still not rising. So I switched on the oven and put them in front of the door and they started rising a bit and at 4 they were hardly as big and fluffy as the ones I had last week but it was 2 hours to shabbos and I was panicking so I put them in.

THEY ARE REALLY SMALL- kinda flat feel heavy. Oh bother. im not doing this again. Bh I told my husband to buy challas as a back up at 1.00 cause I dont think I would have gotten challas an hour before shabbos anywhere around here.

where did I go wrong???

katb

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 10:36 am
I can't help you but I also had a disaster yesterday, I never make challahs but thought I woudl try. I lost my dough hooks and one thting and another went wrong an I ended up with a load of sticky dough all over my surface stuck to it and eventuall two huge blobs which are not challahs but will have to do, and one is totally burned on the bottom!!

Luckily my guests are understanding....!

I'm not doing it again. I anyway don't have a bowl big enough too mix enough challah dough to take challah and make the bracha so really what is the point?!

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 1:05 pm
I also froze my shaed challahs and they are defrosting now and they completely lost their shape?!!!!
So what now? Do I wait and pray?
Go buy challah?
I am so disgusted!

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 20 2009, 4:32 pm
I made lots and lots of challa before rosh hashana and put most of them in a freezer in a shed in our shul, since mine were all full. I took out challos erev yom tov, and then I managed to lose the key. Rolling Eyes

bh we had enough challa at home, although mostly not the special raisin and sugar topped rh ones. But it was stressful. My honey cakes were there too.

I used to freeze raw challos but now I freeze them baked.

chillax

Post Sun, Sep 20 2009, 11:51 pm
haha I was about to post this!!
I made a bunch of challahs. Beautiful round raisin challahs and decided to try this freezing braided but still raw thing that I saw mentioned here. (Especially since I had to make more than usual and was having my first RH meals with company and all of course).
It was a flop!
The shape didn't look so nice (wtvr about that), but they didn't rise again! I still baked them and we ate them but it was NOT the same. They were flatter and harder and drier...just not half as good as they should have been... *sigh*
Needless to say I won't be doing that again. Sad oh well.

workingmom3

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:06 am
freezing raw has never worked for me either so I prefer to freeze baked and then stick them in the oven erev shabbos to freshen up for a few minutes.

FraydaSue

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:37 am
Slightly off topic but I found an idea here for making round challos - braiding it with 3 parts and coiling it round afterwards. It comes out SOOO beautiful, a work of art!

chavamom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:44 am
Maybe it depends on the recipe you use? Or the yeast? I have never had a problem with this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads