Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Caffeine suppositories
Previous  1  2  3

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 5:08 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:
This implies that there is no limit to how far we can go in making the fast easy, including perfectly healthy people taking "tzom kal" pills, etc. That is not true.

wow, I never heard there was any issue with anyone taking kali tzom (or anything) before the fast.
This thread was talking about taking/doing things on the fast day (which I would definitely ask a shaila about).

Just curious, but haven't you heard of the inyan of not wishing people an "easy fast" before/on Yom Kippur, but rather a "meaningful fast" - davka because the fast isn't supposed to be easy? Or do people in your community say "have an easy fast" without thinking twice, and the idea that you shouldn't is a minhag specific to my community?

Shakleemom and whoever else - I really am sorry if I'm upsetting people by hijacking, I'm not trying to cause upset and I'm not questioning that the OP has a heter to do whatever she needs. I'm just having an "imamother moment," where I suddenly learn that a whole big group of people has never heard of something that I considered general knowledge. And clearly that's not happening because I'm so super-knowledgeable, because I'm most definitely not - so it must be that I've just stumbled across a different approach that I never knew existed - which means I MUST hear more. I find it unsettling to know of the existence of a different approach without knowing specifics.

Raizle

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 10:31 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Inui = torture

Infliction is probably more like it actually.
shulchan aruch describes what the 5 inuim are and headaches are not in the description. You are not supposed to add to it.

ora_43 wrote:
Raizle wrote:
preventing a possible migraine is simply making the fast easy?
You do realize that migraines is not a typical side affect of fasting unless someone has a caffeine addiction? it's not the same as just feeling weak and hungry, migraines can be quite debilitating!

Now you're arguing a different point already.

What you said earlier:
Quote:
As far as I understand you are SUPPOSED to do whatever you can to make the fast easier to do.

This implies that there is no limit to how far we can go in making the fast easy, including perfectly healthy people taking "tzom kal" pills, etc. That is not true.
ok so let me rephrase what I meant.
You are supposed to do whatever you can do in the boundries of halacha to make it possible for you to fast on yom kippur

Quote:
BTW caffeine causes problems beyond just withdrawal - caffeine is a diuretic, so if you're drinking caffeine in the days leading up to the fast (and if you take pills on the fast itself), you're causing yourself to dehydrate more quickly, which of course will make the fast harder. So while caffeine pills might help with the more immediate withdrawal symptoms, the way to feel best is to quit caffeine entirely at least 3 days beforehand (which nobody says is problematic, halacha-wise).
True but easier said then done!!!!!!!!. I've tried doing so and found that I was just suffering more in the days leading up to yom kippur then I would for one day. Personaly it helps for me to slow down with the coffee before the fast and then to have one good cup of caffeine as close as possible to the fast without being too close to the evening to prevent sleep
ora_43 wrote:

Just curious, but haven't you heard of the inyan of not wishing people an "easy fast" before/on Yom Kippur, but rather a "meaningful fast" - davka because the fast isn't supposed to be easy? Or do people in your community say "have an easy fast" without thinking twice, and the idea that you shouldn't is a minhag specific to my community?

I haven't heard of this inyan till I discovered it on imamother no less! LOL
Seriously I don't think it's a universal among jews inyan.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:16 pm
Raizle wrote:
You are supposed to do whatever you can do in the boundries of halacha to make it possible for you to fast on yom kippur
Thank you Raizle. This is precisely what I was taught!

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:33 pm
There was a custom in earlier times among certain German Jews to set a complete yom tov table on YK, complete with food, drinks and all, and sit and look at it, but of course not eat, in order to increase their inui. This was called a minhag shtus and a wrong thing to do because we are not meant to increase our suffering more than the Torah requires.

rb

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 3:38 pm
Is there any place I can buy a corn beef sandwich suppository? Very Happy
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions