Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ideas for keeping kids entertained on Yom Kippur

Rivkyel

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:39 pm
Does anyone have ideas for keeping my kids entertained on yom kippur (ranging in age from infant-8yrs). Looking in particular for ideas apropos for the day.

proud_mama

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 11:59 pm
I buy a lot of special treats, snacks and cookies that they dont usually get. I bribe them the whole day. When I want to daven I give them a treat to keep them busy while I daven and I bribe them that if they are good they will get another treat next time I daven. Otherwise its reading books, and playing a whole day, trying to keep the kids from fighting too much and trying to keep my sanity!
Its hard to keep with the mood of the day while taking care of kids that are cooped up and cranky.
Good Luck!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 5:53 am
story reading for the younger ones, older ones have their own books or toys to play with.
Most of the times they're happy to be playing with other kids at the synagogue.

I also let them "make their own lunch"--prepare lots of different fillings so they can make sandwiches of their choice (banan slices with cheese and nutella, sliced apples with veggie salami).
I try to avoid giving them sugary snacks--YK is not the best day to have wild kids on sugar high.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics