Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
How to cook sliced meat

Riffy

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 9:09 am
I have already sliced meat - sort of like corn beef texture- and I want to cook it for yontif. Can I cook it in a pot with water as if its a whole corn beef and then pour a sauce over it. I usualy throw bbq sauce on it and bake it. do u think it will be good to cook? whwat should I do with it?

Newly Wed

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 9:29 am
Not to hijack your thread but... What do I do with sliced pickled steak? Cook/ bake as usual?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 11:20 am
Riffy wrote:
I have already sliced meat - sort of like corn beef texture- and I want to cook it for yontif. Can I cook it in a pot with water as if its a whole corn beef and then pour a sauce over it. I usualy throw bbq sauce on it and bake it. do u think it will be good to cook? whwat should I do with it?

Is the sliced meat raw? And is it pickled, corn beef style?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 11:22 am
Newly Wed wrote:
Not to hijack your thread but... What do I do with sliced pickled steak? Cook/ bake as usual?

Where is everyone buying this already sliced raw meat?
What type of pickled steak is it Newly Wed?

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 11:28 am
is it "pepper steak" cause that is usually sliced thin ... you make it with soy sauce and stir fry type of things including ginger and peppers, etc. all in a fry pan and serve over rice

Riffy

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 11:55 am
NO its not pickled or anything. I live in israel and they sell it like that. its ccompletely raw. AND not pepper steak. I know what pepper steak is. this is large slices of meat.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:10 pm
Riffy wrote:
NO its not pickled or anything. I live in israel and they sell it like that. its ccompletely raw. AND not pepper steak. I know what pepper steak is. this is large slices of meat.

Cook it in a mostly covered pot with water and lots of garlic cloves. The water should be barley covering the meat. Cook until soft.
And then add your sauce.

Newly Wed

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:28 pm
The butcher here sells it like this. Like a few slices of Pickled slices of minute steak. Its especially convenient for last minute erev shabbos/ yt cooking.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:29 pm
I would cook it in the slow cooker / crock pot for like 5-6 hours... add the sauce halfway through.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:35 pm
Newly Wed wrote:
The butcher here sells it like this. Like a few slices of Pickled slices of minute steak. Its especially convenient for last minute erev shabbos/ yt cooking.

Since it's pickled, cook it with lots of garlic cloves and some bay leaves until soft. Water to barley cover meat; pot mostly closed.
You don't really need a sauce for it. Delishes. (Only add salt if necessary.) Reserve the liquid, and reheat the meat in it.
If you like it sweet and pickled/salty, cook with plain water until soft. Dump water. Place slices in a mixture of apricot jam thinned with some water. Refrigerate. And reheat the slices in the sweet sauce.

Newly Wed

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 2:56 pm
Thanks loads.

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 3:29 pm
I would never cook meat in water ... that would be tantamount to boiling it ... you have to first brown it some have the meat juices condense then add a little water to create a gravy as it cooks ... and keep a watch to add more water as necessary ...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 3:36 pm
greenfire wrote:
I would never cook meat in water ... that would be tantamount to boiling it ... you have to first brown it some have the meat juices condense then add a little water to create a gravy as it cooks ... and keep a watch to add more water as necessary ...

The only time one should cook meat in water... drum rolls please... is when it's pickled! Smile

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 3:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
greenfire wrote:

The only time one should cook meat in water... drum rolls please... is when it's pickled! Smile

tan tada tan tada.... Bounce Salut

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 3:58 pm
Oops, just realized my mistake riffy!
Shaklee, and ideas for riffy's non-pickled meat slices?

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 4:40 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
greenfire wrote:

tan tada tan tada.... Bounce Salut

lol ... I hear ya ...

so once I went to my mother's house and bought a nice piece of meat ... turns out it was pickled and boy did we need some potatoe salad and pickles and maybe a little rye bread ... instead of challa & kugel ... that was a first and last mistake for me although it was delicious ...

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 5:41 pm
Ok so um, non pickled sliced meat. YUM! Layer of onions first, then the meat, then a eency bit of water and a bunch of garlic cloves. salt and pepper on top. Cover and bake on 350 for 4 hours. Check if it's rubbery.

Newly Wed

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:01 am
How many days can I refrigerate the cooked meat?

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:17 pm
5 days...

mrshj

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 10:00 pm
I just cooked sliced minute steak and it was delicious.

Dice onions and garlic. Sautee until brown. Move this to the side of the pan and brown the meat on both sides in the same pan. Once meat is browned, bring the onions and mix with meat. Add equal parts of water and dry red wine (I use classic red from Kedem Estates). add salt to taste. Let simmer on medium to low heat for 3.5-4 hours. THis is absolutely yummy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics