Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Back to work and nursing

speciwoman

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 4:21 pm
I posted this under nursing too, but then I realized it might be good in this forum.

I just returned to work on Monday after 12 weeks of maternity leave. Until this point, my baby has only nursed. I want to keep that up as much as possible, so I am pumping at work and nursing at all other times.

I've been nursing the baby in the morning between 6:30 and 8 (whenever he's hungry in that time period), then pumping at work 3 times during the day--around 9, noon, and 3. When I get home, I nurse the baby around 6pm, then again all night. Each time I pump, I get about 4 oz (more from one side than the other). I have to pump for about 25 minutes each time and must manually massage myself while pumping in order to express the milk. I have been pumping once each night around 10pm as well, in order to keep some in the freezer.

The sitter gives the baby his bottles, 3 times a day when I'm gone, about 3 hours apart. It has been enough milk for him. Since I'm not there, I don't know if she's following all "protocols" for bottle-feeding a breastfed infant.

Does this sound good/normal? I wanted to consult a lactation consultant, but she wanted to charge me crazy money, and I just don't think that's necessary. I know the ladies on this forum have lots of experience and knowledge, so I thought I'd check in.

Suggestions, etc. welcome!!!!!

speciwoman

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 9:10 am
Anyone have anything?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 5:05 pm
Kol hakavod! I think you're doing an amazing job being back at work and managing to pump three times. I pumped twice (once before lunch and another afternoon), I think it took me good 30min or so using an electric pump. Just make sure you're getting enough liquid intake. Don't feel bad if the amount of milk fluctuates. In my case I had to top up with formula as my output was not enough. It's good idea to build a stash of frozen milk--just make sure you mark the dates and use the oldest one first.

About the babysitter, you might want to make some kind of timesheet so that she can mark how much milk she has given at what time.

soldat

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:57 pm
sounds good to me - pumping can be a pain.
one little adjustment, is there anyway you can pump in the AM instead of at night?
even if I'm still nursing during the morning I am usually full enough to pump about 2 ounces and still nurse.
as far as the babysitter, mine leaves me a simple list of times and amount of when the baby sleeps and eats.
I also like to have extra milk in the freezer so I pump 2-3 ounces on sunday.
one more suggestion if I may-
it sounds like you are really working hard at this - that's great if you have the energy for this but if you start feeling drained exahsted and genarely run down, consider giving 2-4 ounces of formula at night.
no don't shoot me, let me explain why this can actually increase your milk supply.
if you are not getting enough rest it can be very hard to produce enough milk, formula by nature can help your baby sleep longer, which lets you get more rest, and produce more milk.
this is based on my experiance however and I am not a professional lactation consultant, just an experianced nurser/pumper (cow!)

soldat

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:00 pm
oh, and feel free to pm me - im just a month ahead of you, with a 4 monnth old and back to work for about 6 weeks.

SomebodyElse

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:46 pm
It all sounds good to me, although the 25 minutes per session sounds a little on the long side. Do you have a double electric pump? Are you spending a lot of that time waiting for let-down, or does it just take a long time to get the milk out?

speciwoman

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 8:47 am
This morning my babysitter told me that my baby really needs 3.5-4oz each time. I hope she's not forcing it on him, but it's impossible for me to know, since I'm not there. The pumping does take a long time--it's just slow to come out, and it's mostly coming from my right side. I'd say 75% of what I get comes from the right. It was the same way when I pumped with my first son, but it was the opposite side.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics