Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Buffalo grove illinois?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 5:26 am
Anyone from here or have info on it? is it yeshivish, modern, are there young couples, what are the schools like, things to do etc? thanks

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:28 pm
The number of Shomer Shabbos people in Buffalo Grove is small. The Acheinu Directory only lists one shul in Buffalo Grove with a daily minyan. There may be a couple of others with Shabbos only minyanim. There is a brand new day school there that started this year (I don't know what grades it serves). I believe there is bussing from there though to some of the other schools, but it can be pretty far (up to an hour depending on traffic). The area is in the largest Jewish area of suburban Chicago, but is composed of mainly secular Jews. There are a lot of kiruv organizations working in the area. The shomer families that are there are on the whole not yeshish, definately more MO type and certainly on the young side. If you would like phone numbers of the Rav, the shul or the school/principal, please PM me.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:37 pm
We lived there for 7 weeks in 1998 in a corporate apartment. On Shabbat (not Friday night) we had a choice of 2 minyanim (Chabad and SEED IIRC), about 3 miles each way for either one of them. There was no eiruv at the time. I drove the kids to school and back every day, at least 40 minutes if I timed it correctly, much more if I didn't. Kosher food shopping was in Skokie or West Rogers Park. I don't think things have changed all that much since then. The biggest plus in living there is a GREAT public library.
Why don't you look into Skokie, which has many Orthodox Jews, or Lincolnwood or West Rogers Park etc.?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:44 pm
Tamiri wrote:
We lived there for 7 weeks in 1998 in a corporate apartment. On Shabbat (not Friday night) we had a choice of 2 minyanim (Chabad and SEED IIRC), about 3 miles each way for either one of them. There was no eiruv at the time. I drove the kids to school and back every day, at least 40 minutes if I timed it correctly, much more if I didn't. Kosher food shopping was in Skokie or West Rogers Park. I don't think things have changed all that much since then. The biggest plus in living there is a GREAT public library.
Why don't you look into Skokie, which has many Orthodox Jews, or Lincolnwood or West Rogers Park etc.?

While the BG from community is still quite small, it is very different from what you saw in 1998.

As I said above, there is at least one full service frum shul with daily minyanim as well as others with Shabbos only minyanim (in addition to whatever Chabad has: sorry, but I don't know anything about Chabad there).

There is a brand new Day School in BG and there is at least some shopping (including a bakery)_ there as well. I'm pretty sure there is also an eruv.

That said, yes, Skokie, Lincolnwood, WRP, etc are where most of the frum community is located today as well.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:47 pm
There was a bakery and kosher Dunkin' Donuts back then as well.
I think that for a place to expand properly, it needs an eiruv. Did BG get one?
Oh, and it's coooooold (I don't know where OP is coming from but we got there from Phoenix AZ and were in for a shock!).

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:51 pm
Tamiri wrote:
There was a bakery and kosher Dunkin' Donuts back then as well.
I think that for a place to expand properly, it needs an eiruv. Did BG get one?
Oh, and it's coooooold (I don't know where OP is coming from but we got there from Phoenix AZ and were in for a shock!).

There is still the bakery but I don't there's a kosher DD there any more (not positive though). I believe they've had an eruv for quite a few years, but don't know first hand. I can put OP in contact with the people in the know there if she wants.

Yes, it is cold, as is the rest of Chicagoland.

We always say that there are many great reasons to live in Chicago, but the weather isn't one of them!

bbmom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:59 pm
I'm 99% sure there is an eruv there.

hila

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:09 pm
There was no eruv six years ago... the town refused to let them use the telephone poles.

Apparently there is now a small Eruv (around 2 shuls but not the third)

Marriedinisrael

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:12 pm
There is an eruv there- but don't try walking to Lincolnwood carrying, for example.
I lived there growing up, but it sure has changed.
The most active is SEED right now, with their shul that has daily minyanim. There is a grocery store which has a large kosher section- but you probably will still shop and eat in restaurants in WRP or Skokie.
If I were moving back to Chicago area- I would move into Chicago proper, not the suburbs.
But there are nice things- phenomenal library (which was mentioned above), very scenic- ducks, ponds, rabbits and the like, and a solid component of frum Jews.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 4:48 pm
Brainiac85 wrote:
There is an eruv there- but don't try walking to Lincolnwood carrying, for example.

I think walking to Lincolnwood even without carrying may be beyond techum shabbos (it is a 45-60 minute drive with significant undeveloped areas in between).

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 4:56 pm
My husband works up near there (arlington heights).
I would love to go up there for a shabbes and see what its all abt. is beautiful and the houses are cheap but if you don drive (like me) then its not practical.
My husband and I would love to start a sheeble there and get a few chassidish families up there.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 5:07 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
I would love to go up there for a shabbes and see what its all abt. is beautiful and the houses are cheap but if you don drive (like me) then its not practical.
My husband and I would love to start a sheeble there and get a few chassidish families up there.

I think it would be impossible to live there if you didn't drive. Also, not only are there no chassidish families there now, there are even only a couple of yeshivish ones (mainly the Rav of the Bay Shul -- formerly Seed).

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 5:09 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ClaRivka wrote:

I think it would be impossible to live there if you didn't drive. Also, not only are there no chassidish families there now, there are even only a couple of yeshivish ones (mainly the Rav of the Bay Shul -- formerly Seed).

I kno, but I cud do like I do now and go shopping once a week with my husband...
also, we'd import the chassidim, I kno there aren any there now
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating