Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Inspirational books for teen girls

amother

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 1:12 pm
Can anyone recommend books geared towards frum teen girls that answer typical teen questions about being frum, that give a taste for the beauty of it without heavy mussar? I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

Raisin

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 12:53 pm
I read a really nice book recently called, I think, A new song. I think the author was called Bensussan or something similar.

It's about a teenage girl who goes to live with frum relatives. really nicely written and does not skirt around difficult issues.

It's fiction; but if you want non fiction I recommend Aryeh Kaplan.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 2:02 pm
Jerusalem Gems answers real questions about issues post seminary girls have about dealing with the world.

Fiction, books by Bracha Goykadosh, Footprints In The Sand and another one - my teens love her writing style, and the way she speaks the language of frum girls today.

Shoshanim magazine - maybe a subscription?

Sherri

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 2:41 pm
Raisin wrote:
I read a really nice book recently called, I think, A new song. I think the author was called Bensussan or something similar.

It's about a teenage girl who goes to live with frum relatives. really nicely written and does not skirt around difficult issues.

Aryeh Kaplan is fantastic, but don't you think he could be a bit heavy?

Isramom8

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 2:45 pm
Gila Manolson - The Magic Touch, Outside Inside, maybe she has one more?

Sukie Gross teen novels - interesting story lines that don't talk down, with frum pride from the teens' point of view casually interdispersed

raspberry tea

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 2:47 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Jerusalem Gems answers real questions about issues post seminary girls have about dealing with the world.

Fiction, books by Bracha Goykadosh, Footprints In The Sand and another one - my teens love her writing style, and the way she speaks the language of frum girls today.

Shoshanim magazine - maybe a subscription?

Shoshanim is a great idea! By DD loves it!

raspberry tea

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 2:48 pm
Sherri wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Aryeh Kaplan is fantastic, but don't you think he could be a bit heavy?

I have a 12 year old who is in to his books.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 5:30 pm
Thanks everyone! Could you give me specific titles for Aryeh Kaplan books? Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated too.

4Sisters

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 8:00 pm
Yaldah Magzine is nice, too---like Shoshanim, but actually written by girls, rather than adults.

blahblah

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 9:06 pm
rabbi tatz's book is excellent - called something like "the jewish thinking teenagers guide to life" or some variation of that title

raspberry tea

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 11:15 pm
4Sisters wrote:
Yaldah Magzine is nice, too---like Shoshanim, but actually written by girls, rather than adults.

Isn't a "teen"getting to be too old for Yaldah? My DD lost interest awhile ago. And about Shoshanim, I thought a lot of their stories/stuff were written by teens too??

raspberry tea

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 11:30 pm
blahblah wrote:
rabbi tatz's book is excellent - called something like "the jewish thinking teenagers guide to life" or some variation of that title

We have this one, I really didn't care for it, and it didn't hold my kids attention. I was happy I only spent $2 for it on Amazon.

I can't find the Kaplan book at the moment but when I do I'll post.

I don't know if this would be of interest to your DD or not. Or fit what you are looking for. But, I really liked Straight Talk with Yossi. (I think that's what it's called.) I liked it so much I ordered his second book Straight Talk 2, but that one was NOT as good at all. I felt like he was writing the book for someone with a drug problem or someone who is off the derech. I wouldn't recommend the second one.

My teens really like Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, and they've read it more than once. Again don't know if that's really what you are looking for....

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 6:58 am
Rabbi Waldman's book is supposed to be classic.
The Beckermans have books, The Thinking (a few in the series) guide to Jewish Thought, or something like that, may have TMI for some teenagers. Sorry I can't be more helpful, someone's coming in a few minutes.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 11:00 am
there are a bunch of kaplan books, most very thin but you can get them in a 2 volume anthology. If I was God is very good, but there are others as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children