Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Solid food

at what age did you first feed your baby solids?
4 months  
 19%  [ 5 ]
5 months  
 26%  [ 7 ]
6 months  
 26%  [ 7 ]
7 months +  
 26%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 26

Yc18

Post Thu, Jun 17 2004, 3:22 pm
my 7 mo. old son doesnt like to eat food. when I first started him on food he loved it and would gulp down the food. that was only for about 3 days though. then I would have to make him laugh to get him to open his mouth. then he wouldnt eat at all., he'd cry if I tried feeding him. so I took a break for about 2 weeks. today I tried feeding him and he actually opened his mouth to accept the spoonful of cereal. my older son was eating sandwiches at this age! (but I did start him earlier with food.)
anyone else have this sort of experience?

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Jun 28 2004, 8:41 am
I started giving solids to my baby when he was 5 1/2 months. It took along time for him to get used to it. There were days that he ate and those that he didnt. there was a time when he threw up his carrots so I was told to stop completely and restart everyting in a week.my baby now eats everything but it is still hard to get him to eat. When my baby wouldnt take anything I would get nervous that he isnt eating, and I would always wonder why sometimes he took or sometimes he didn't.Now I have realized that when he is hungry he will let me know and if he isnt intrested he will show me,I wouldnt make hiemsmile or distract him to get something in, because I didnt want him to feel that I was forcing him. though sometime I really wanted to cuz he was hardly eating. But
I knew he wasn't starving cuz he would be calm and happy during the day and he hardly cried as if he was hungry.

Yc18

Post Mon, Jul 05 2004, 2:39 pm
you said that he wasnt crying and was happy so you knew he wasnt hungry. thats probably true in your case if your son is gaining weight steadily. but I wouldnt go by that b/c my older son wasnt getting enough milk and was losing weight when he was 5-6 months old. I didnt know b/c he was always happy. and when I would nurse him when he stopped he looked happy like he had gotten enough. only when I went to the dr. for his checkup and he told me that my son only gained a few ounces in 2 months when he should have gained at least a pound or 2, did I realize that he wasnt getting enough food. immediately I started him on formula, and he gained a pound and a half in 2 weeks. I felt so guilty for not realizing that my son was starving. I still feel guilty. I noticed that his diapers were hardly wet but I thought he was just constipated and I'd give him a bottle of apple juice. I didnt know better. he's my first child. also it didnt help when people would reassure me that its not possible for me to not produce enough milk. I'm only saying this so that other women out there should pay attention to their baby's weight gain. especially if you have a child who is small for their age. if you arent sure if they're gaining enough, go to your dr. to weigh them. if you dont know how much milk they get in a nursing session, then while at the dr.'s office weigh the baby before and after a feeeding. also you can pump milk once in a while just to measure how much milk you produce.
I wouldnt want anyone else to go through the guilt that I went through.

micki

Post Tue, Jul 06 2004, 1:39 pm
hi there-
I have 4 kids, and 4 different ages for eating soldi food. there is no SET age. my first was 4 months, second 6 months, third 8 months, and 4th was 7 months. my first adored it from the very first day, the second the same but the third HATED the baby food jars, and refused to eat mush. literly would make faces and spit it out. so I waited until he was old eanought o eat real food- cheerios and tea biscuits. my fourth did the same- hated that baby food!!
so follow your babies cues! don't start a cycle of making tricks to eat, cause this is what you teach them. if he does not want food now, then wait 2 weeks amonth and try again!

Yc18

Post Tue, Jul 06 2004, 3:03 pm
I just want everyone to know that Dovi is eating cereal with fruit every morning and likes it and eats a lot. today I gave him a piece of apricot and he chewed on it till he finished it. he made a mess but he loved it!!
he doesnt usually like to eat supper. I make him a nice bowl of mashed chicken and vegies and then I dont know what to do with it, levi doesnt like to eat his leftovers. I wish he would though.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Jul 06 2004, 5:40 pm
yael, I had the same thing with schneur zalman, he would eat his cereal with fruit without a problem, but when it came to supper he hardly ate a thing. I mudst have wasted alot of chicken at that time. I treid giving him chicken during the day, and give some vegies at night - that worked a little. but genrally he was more hungry in the morning after a nights sleep.
maybe try skip his nursing before super so he isnt full then.
on this topic- we all drive ourselves crazy to get our kids to eat when they're babies- and then we have to deal with obese kids when they're older

miriam

Post Thu, Jul 15 2004, 2:06 am
My six and half month old started solids last week. I started her on carrots and this week we are doing sweet potato. I boil or steam the veggie and then put it thru the manual baby food maker by Kidco. She loooves the sweet potato, compared to the carrot. She didn't spit up much of the sweet potato. When she first started she was so cute. She made faces as if she was eating a lemon. Her two year old sister tried feeding her Cheerios but Thank G-d I was there. I guess after we do a few more veggies we will move on to cereal. How do you guys start your babies on solids? I feel new at this because we didn't start my older daughter on solids until she was closer to 10 months.

Yc18

Post Thu, Jul 15 2004, 3:11 pm
my doctor recommended starting with cereal b/c its easiest to digest then move on to vegies then fruit. I started dovi with cereal but then moved straight to fruit cuz I didnt have vegies on hand to give him. now he doesnt like to eat vegies. egg yolk is also good to feed at like 7 mo. but kids never liked it. chicken and meat go in the same category.

Chanie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2004, 5:36 pm
Although doctors differ on opinions on what to start with. Most agree to start with cereals, because they are high in Iron. After that, the next food is based on whether your child is breast-feed or formula feed. Breast feed babies are recommanded to start proteins next while formula feed babies are recommended vegetables first.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Sep 06 2004, 12:23 am
There is a book called Into the Mouths of Babes. The book is all about first foods. Avocado is consider to be a great first food, so is banana. I had a whole catastrophe with the my son and first foods. Lets just put it this way. Pregnancy, low milk supply due to pregnancy, son loving my milk even though there wasn't enough, he has reflux and is throwing up for about a month, and he starts to hate food because he is so sick. B"H he likes to eat now that he is 17 months.

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Sep 06 2004, 1:53 pm
Shayna Rochel, how did you get your son to like his food, or did it just come naturaly after a few months of "high chair battles" ? I have a very picky eater, and I dont always have the foods he likes and would like him to be more of an'allrounder'

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Sep 06 2004, 9:31 pm
First I had to stop stressing about it. The doctors made me crazy about his weight. He lost 2 lbs from 8-10 months. What I learned about my son was that he wasn't eating because he didn't feel good(reflux). So I first had to get him to feel better(medicine). I started to let him eat whatever. As long as he was eating a little. Also my son had alot of teeth early, so biting and chewing was no problem. Now I give him what I eat, because he always wants what mommy and totty are eating. Also I give it to him on a plate with a spoon. Over time he has been pretty good but he has his days.

BelovedBird

Post Mon, Sep 20 2004, 7:29 pm
I gave the first solids to all my kids between 10 and 12 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics