Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Nosh drawer?

ABC

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 3:12 am
do you have a drawer full of nosh at home for your kids and if so how often/when do you let your kids take from it?

I am very anti junk food but am worried that b/c I restrict it so much, my kids will just crave it even more

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 3:21 am
No, I don't. My kids get Shabbat treats, and right now my toilet trainer also gets "pee pee treats". He knows he's not allowed to help himself. I am fully aware that they get junk outside of the house, and I no longer argue with the daycare/school over it. But when they're with me then house rules apply.

(I'm also more lenient with salty junk like Apropos/chips/goldfish crackers than I am with the sweet stuff.)

freidasima

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 3:27 am
Never had one. I would give them cake and pudding which we kept in the fridge as dessert. But I never bought nosh of any kind.
My father would keep chocolate around for the kids and they all knew that when they went to Zeideh (which being down the block was almost dailiy) they would get a piece of chocolate.
Figured that when they went out they got enough nosh. At home we also had granola cookies for them for whenever they wanted and they were so bad that no one ever wanted!
But believe me, they weren't deprived, as babies and toddlers they got in gan, and afterwards they bought from their allowance.
My 23 year old still buys herself bamba every once in a while!

momaleh

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 3:34 am
Same exact as Marion. Shabbos and toilet training treats, and I know they sometimes get outside.

anonymom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 4:16 am
I just had to shoo away my six year old who is learning to read to answer this: I keep the box hidden in my room. Otherwise there would be nothing left.

pinktichel

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 4:24 am
I have a nosh bag for myself. LOL
Kids snacks are my fruit bowl and some animal crackers and fruit bars in the cabinet. Oh, and someone bought them some wafers.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 4:34 am
No.

I don't keep much at home, but I have some for Shabbos/YT and if we're at kiddush at shul or at a simchah, I do try to get some real food in my kids first, but then I let them have nosh they want.

Seraph

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 4:36 am
I don't have a nosh drawer. The only nosh I have in my house is chocolate chips and candies, and those are used for bribery purposes... or rather, positive encouragement. Tongue Out I keep them out of my son's reach- in the freezer and on top of the fridge.
I buy other stuff on occasion, but don't have a set place for them.
I dont forbid junk in my house; I don't want my kids to feel deprived. However, I dont want junk to become a standard. My son's get treats often enough to not feel deprived and hence will fress at friends but rarely enough that he doesnt think nosh is a food group like some kids...

drumjj

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 5:02 am
I have the biggest nosh cupboard ever. but I dont let the kids eat anything from it.

pinktichel

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 6:38 am
drumjj wrote:
I have the biggest nosh cupboard ever. but I dont let the kids eat anything from it.

I'm coming!! LOL

yummy2

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 6:44 am
We have a nosh shelf, mostly a veriety of cookies, ( given as dessert), and super snacks ( given for snacks in school).

drumjj

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 6:44 am
my cupboard is famous where we live. u can come with pleasure. ive said that already

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 7:20 am
Why does nosh have to be unhealthy food? Keep healthy food, for everyone, there !

Inspired

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 7:37 am
Yeah, its at the bottom of the fridge, aka the fruit and vegetable drawer. The children are allowed to take as many cucmbers, carrots, apples and peppers as they want.
Also, there is usually a package of WW crackers, pretzels, cornflakes and sometimes teas bisquits in the cabinet.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 7:39 am
I don't consider most nosh (bamba bissli etc) unhealthy. Yes, it's there. Not necessarily low enough for dd to take, but she can access some.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 11:32 am
Yes we have one but it has dried fruit, nuts, mini water bottles, covered rice cakes, popcorn and only sometimes the really junky junky type of nosh.

Annie

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 1:35 pm
We have two different areas -- regular snacks and shabbos party snacks.

(my kids are 7 & 10) -- From the regular snack bin/shelf -- they can take a serving size of a snack (pretzels/popcorn/cereal/crackers) -- we have small cups and snack size ziplocs, but they can also read a "serving size" on the bag. They can have a snack or two, and then they're done. This was much easier for us than the "mommy, I'm hungry" and "no, I don't want that" that I used to get when they get home from school. Now they know where everything is and what they're allowed to have. They also know that they can always have a fruit/beggie/yogurt, anytime they want.

The shabbos party bag usually has 3 items in it, and if they've been 'cleared' to have shabbos party (davened, toys are put away, it's not right before lunch, etc) they can take one of each treat. Usually there are wafers, cookies and lollipops or marshmellows in there -- it varies by week. Sometimes there's jellybeans, in which case they'll ask.

Any really junky stuff is either not in the house, or not in their reach and is used sparingly for special occasions.

So far, my kids don't feel deprived of junk b/c they get it in small amounts under certain circumstances. not to say, that if oreos were an option, they wouldn't take them, but just that they don't feel the need to grab any junk they ever get offered. I'm also pretty lenient on what my mom and ILs give them, as long as it won't make them too nuts.

We have a similar policy with snacks for school -- they have to have at least one healthy snack, and "junky" snacks (fruit roll ups and such) are limited to twice a week.

lizard8

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 1:15 am
don't have kids, but it wasn't long ago that I was still living at home. My family grew up on nosh! Even though my mother prepared delicious, healthy well rounded meals, everyone ate nosh all the time. We just didn't like to eat a lot of reg. food. The cupboard was high up, but we all managed to pull up a tall chair to reach. We also needed to prepare ourselves snack for school, so you can guess what everyone chose. My mother always wondered how she could have bought a costco size box of gushers, and it be empty 2 days later. She started hiding the nosh in her room, and brought down every morning what we were allowed to bring to school. My brothers weren't dumb- before she knew it, my mother was left with candy wrappers all over her room!! Now most of us have grown out of the nosh, even though I still love sugar & chocolate I rarely buy it. My parents house still has nosh, for the children still at home, nephews and nieces, but it doesn't go as fast as it used to.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 1:41 am
lizard8 that's so interesting. but can you tell me just as a rough idea what your general health is like, and that of your teeth? I basically want to know if you suffered any detriment from eating so much nosh, or if to the contrary, it meant that you aren't so interested in it now.

louche

Post Wed, Oct 21 2009, 7:09 am
ABC wrote:
do you have a drawer full of nosh at home for your kids and if so how often/when do you let your kids take from it?

I never heard of such a thing, but even if I had, I wouldn't have had one--and not only because I would have been its most frequent visitor. Who needs such a thing? Kids get more than enough junk food in school, shabbos group, shul kiddushim, friends' houses , grandparents' houses , family outings and special occasions, not to mention the horrible Simchas Torah Candy Parade, mishloach manot, and shabbos desserts. Why would anyone want to keep a drawer full of chazzerei in the house?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics