Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Healthy muffins

HooRYou

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 7:21 am
I am looking for a healthy muffin recipe that can be made with different kinds of veggies of fruit (carrot, apple, zucchini, etc.). Minimally I am looking for only WW, no margarine and minimal sugar, but the healthier the better. Even if you recipe calls for only one specific fruit/veg send it in anyway and I can always play with the replacements.

Thanks

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:08 am
muffins itself isnt so dietetic, they have alot of flour...the oatbran ones are the best to make

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 5:18 am
I used to use a recipe on an oatbran box or oats box. Quakers maybe? dont remember. they were easy and yum. used to have 1 or 2 for breakfast.

sunshine!

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 9:15 am
HEALTHY MUFFINS

1 cup whole wheat flour (I buy pastry flour)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup honey
less than 3/4 cup applesauce
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional-you can use craisins, raisins sugar free choc chips or nothing!)

Mix all ingredients until combined, don't overmix
Put into sprayed (I use nonstick spray with flour) muffin tins and bake at 350' for 15-20 minutes

greenfire

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 9:55 am
use whole wheat flour ... some flax seed ... and make sure if you have a lot of fruit that make it heavy to use a sufficient amount of baking powder ...

Tapuzi

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 10:23 am
My muffins recipe is super healthy and can be adjusted in many ways to include different flours, veggies and fruits. It can be made with more or less fiber depending on how much your system can handle. They are also fat free so they are not as yummy as store bought but again, they are very, very healthy. 2 muffins are only 3 weight watchers points if you use splenda as the sweetner the basic recipe is:
Pre-heat oven to 350
DRY INGREDIENTS
-3 cups grain. You can use a mix of any of the following: whole wheat flour (or pastry flour), wheat bran, oat bran, oatmeal (not instant)
-1/2 to 3/4 cup sweetner- I use splenda, but you can use sugar, honey, agave- if you use honey or agave add to wet ingredients, not dry
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp cinnamon-optional
-pinch nutmeg- optional

WET INGREDIENTS

-1 egg or 2 egg whites
-then I add one cup of additional wet ingredients made up of skim milk and whatever pureed fruit or veggies I have on hand- generally baby food like butternut squash, applesauce, blueberries, carrots. I empty one or 2 jars into a measuring cup and add enough skim milk to make one cup liquid. Sometimes I add a grated zucchinni or mashed banana.

Add wet ingredients to dry, mix with spoon, do not overmix. Then you can add berries or chips if you want. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tops brown. These are very, very hearty, especially if you use alot of the bran. Enjoy!

Tapuzi

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 10:24 am
I should add DEFINIETLY spray the muffin tin and it makes 12 muffins.

grin

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 1:31 am
how can you call something so sweet "healthy"?

Tapuzi

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 3:45 pm
Well, I use Splenda, so they are sugar free. And they are fat free other than the spray and they have a ton of whole grain and vitamins and nutrients from fruit/ veggies. To me that is a pretty healthy muffin. If you have a problem with artificial sweetner I hear you. But even a 1/2 cup agave for 12 muffins is pretty good.

lizard8

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 2:32 pm
sunshine! wrote:
HEALTHY MUFFINS

1 cup whole wheat flour (I buy pastry flour)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup honey
less than 3/4 cup applesauce
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional-you can use craisins, raisins sugar free choc chips or nothing!)

Mix all ingredients until combined, don't overmix
Put into sprayed (I use nonstick spray with flour) muffin tins and bake at 350' for 15-20 minutes

These made only 10 small muffins!!! They are in the oven now, if they are good, I will have to triple it

overthehill

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 9:34 am
So how did these muffins come out? reviews please!

estibesty

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 6:07 pm
just made em so yummy Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins