Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Should I tip maintenance man?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 9:05 pm
I live in a townhouse in a gated community. In addition to my mortgage (I own the house), I also pay a monthly condo fee (over $300) for outside maintenance of the house (roof, siding, landscaping, etc.) We have had a problem outside our house for almost a year now and they have still not been able to solve it properly. There is 1 maintenance man who has taken a special interest and has spent many many hours of work time trying to get it right. I am wondering, once it is done right (bikarov biyamainu!), do I have a chiyuv to tip him? I feel like my condo fee is paying for this but on the other hand, he has really put in a tremendous amount of effort to fix the problem. Also, he has a "right hand man"--a nice young man who is slightly mentally delayed who has been assisting him throughout this process. He is also employed by they condo association. If I tip the primary guy, do I also tip the assitant?
Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 9:17 pm
Ask your managing agent if your condo fee covers a gift for them at the end of the year. Otherwise, yes, they expect something.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 9:34 pm
if money isn't an issue - it's surely a nice gesture ...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 9:37 pm
He's on a salary but he's not paid to go above and beyond.

Seriously find out if he gets a year end bonus from your collective monies. If not, give him a tip yourself or collect from each unit owner. Something extra is expected by them.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 11:25 am
OP here--we each give $20 before the holidays and the employees split it as a bonus from all the homeowners.
Should I give maybe a small giftcard?
I just feel like I pay so much per month that the extra dollars here and there really do add up in my budget.

Rachie1

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 11:48 am
I would absolutely tip both him and the assistant. Also view your tip as "insurance" -- if something goes wrong down the road, you bet that your place will get fixed promptly. I live in an apartment, but my rent pays the maintenance salaries, but still when we first moved in we had a problem and we tipped the night maintenance man. Now whenver we have a problem, he comes over immediately and goes above and beyond to fix it (or leaves urgent-sounding notes to the morning staff if he doesn't have the manpower to do it himself).

Also consider giving a holiday gift as well. I am sure they work very hard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics