Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
So congested can't breath at night

mom3boys

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 2:24 pm
Help, my 3 year old has quite a cold. He is fine during the day, but at night he can't sleep. He wakes up crying, won't blow his nose and can't break the habit of breathing through the nose. We have had 2 really tough nights. Last night I put a humidifier in the room, but I don't think it helped. Need suggestions, please. Exclamation
P.S. I am not a fan of medicating kids (or adults for that matter).

shira

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 4:49 pm
I don't like to medicate my kids either but I also don't like to have them suffer unnecessarily. My prob is that when I give my oldest an antihistimine/decongestant, it doesnt really work and makes him hyper. So we've just resorted to propping him up with pillows and hoping for the best. Every day we work on how to blow our nose Smile

shopaholic

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 5:03 pm
I use Breathe Right strips for myself. They make smaller ones too which might be good for kids. He's 3 so he probably won't mind it. It's a strip (like a bandaid) that sticks to your nose & has a spring in it that lifts your nose & opens the nasal passages. They sell them in any pharmacy.

supermommy

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 7:01 pm
do you use the hot or cold mist type? I use the hot mist and make sure to add a small pinch of salt to the water, and close the bedroom door. this usually seems to do the trick. you can also use baby vicks vapor rub. the hot mist vaporizer is best in my opinion since warm moisture decongests better and since it's hot it's less likely to grow mold and harbor bacteria which can just make things worse esp. if your child is prone to environmental allergies.

mom3boys

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 7:09 pm
Yep, I have a hot mist humidifier. I'll try with salt. Thanks.

elisecohen

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 7:12 pm
Saline nasal drops work wonders. Also, you can raise the head of his bed to improve breathing, and/or give him an extra pillow. A bath or shower right before bed, especially with a little eucalyptus oil, can help clear out the sinuses too. Also there are the "cough" patches at the pharmacy, which now are also being sold to relieve congestion; if your child reacts to the adhesive, just stick them to the pyjamas rather than to the skin. It's a less messy version of the old Vicks vap-o-rub (which is also still available if you like that).

happyone

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 11:30 pm
Olbas oil works very well in the humidifier.

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 11:31 pm
a humidifier, and saline nasal drops worked great for my son.

mom3boys

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 6:43 am
Ok, I put some salt into the humidifier , despite the fact that the label on it said never do it. Also gave extra pillow and vicks on chest and back. I am glad to report that we had a very restful night.
Thank to all you for your suggestions Very Happy

imanut

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 10:54 am
my kids are just getting over colds. it's miserable while it lasts. we found that the bulb syringe works pretty well, but most kids hate it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics