Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Very Worried about my son...

amother

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 1:57 pm
Ok, some background:

He's 7.5, and in third grade.
He gets home from school at about 5:00 every day.
He's a VERY good student.
And is always trying vert hard to keep that up, to please his Rebbes and us. (we're constantly telling him that even if he gets lower grades, it's fine, that he'll still be a great student, and of course, that we will love him no matter what).

This past year he had "Strept Throat" about 10 times.
We've been to ENT's etc....
It looks like that part is over, but now, for the past 4 weeks he's been having really bad headaches!!!
We've done all the blood-tests, an X-ray to check for sinusitis, a urine test. Plus, we took him for an eye-test and it turns out he needs glasses, not a very high number: about 1 1/4 (one and a quarter) for reading the board at school.

Well- he's STILL getting the headaches!!!

I'm a very worried type of person, I always imagine the worst C"V.
Should I insist on a CT or MRI????

Could it be he has C"V something very serious?
How would I know? Our Dr. doesn't seem to know very much!
I would appreciate some advice and reassurance from you Moms if you think you can give me any.

Thanks!!! Confused

amother

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 7:12 pm
go to someone who is into narural! I know someone who was having alot of ear infections and went to someone who is into herbs and she made them go away! u never know, sometimes these people know things doctors dont! he could be getting head aches for something that can be fixed weasilky but docs wouldnt know..

amother

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 7:23 pm
no no no! do not go to someone natural until you are sure it is not anything else. Find a good nuerologist and make sure that everything is ok first. Then, if it is stress or something else unexplained, you can try all types of natural things, my advice (since I am not very impressed with natural healing), if it is stress is to get your son into some short term therapy, in which the therapist can teach him relaxation techniques- but first make sure nothing is going on! I think it is very dangerous for people to give advice to see someone "natural" before anything medically is diagnosed.

ektsm

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 7:40 pm
Take him to another doctor and get a second opinion.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 9:22 pm
Amother I really sympathize with you, my son who happens to be the same age as yours has been complaining of headaches/dizziness for the past few months, we thought it would stop when we got him glasses, also a very small prescription, but its persisting, the doctor just asked if he drinks enough, but other than that is really no help. I also wonder if I should insist on an MRI, but on the other hand its a big thing to put him through. Maybe I should go for a second opinion.

shoshb

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 10:04 pm
When my 4 y.o had headaches, the doctor said that if he wasn't demonstrating any other neurological symptoms (losing balance, becoming weak, looking asymmetrical etc), then it's probably not a tumor chas veshalom. Sometimes kids just have headaches. My son had them worse in the summer, and we wondered if he may have bee de-hydrated.
Of course, get a second opinion if it will make you feel better.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 10:06 pm
can young children get migraines? a sinus infection?

shoshb

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 10:19 pm
BVH, yes.

downsyndrome

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 10:41 pm
Has he been eathing peanut butter lately? I have heard numerous times that it can bring on headaches/migraines in children.
On another note, my son had ear infections for one full year b/4 I connected that I had introduced peanut butter into his diet right b/4 the onset of those infections.
Just something to think about...

realeez

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 10:47 pm
I'm going to take a different angle here...

Your son is 7.5 and in 3rd grade? Is he the youngest in the class?

(When my ds starts 1st grade, iy"H he will be 6.5. I was towards the younger ones in my class but I turned 8 within a couple of months of starting 3rd grade).

Many times, boys especially, are up to par with their class on an academic level but lag behind their in emotional maturity. I know a number of people who have taught grades 2-3 boys and they have all said that they can tell each child's birthday (age in the class) by his behaviour. If medically everything is fine, my concern would be in that department b/c children under stress may have headaches (or stomache aches).

Tefila

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 11:55 pm
Quote:
If medically everything is fine, my concern would be in that department b/c children under stress may have headaches (or stomache aches).

Ditto there Wink but really first pursue the medical aspect Exclamation

chavamom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 12:36 am
mommyabc123 wrote:
If medically everything is fine, my concern would be in that department b/c children under stress may have headaches (or stomache aches).

Yup.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 1:43 am
Is there any mold in your house? It can play havoc with the immune system. Google toxic mold and see if any symtoms match.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 2:37 am
My neice was sent to the emergency room for bad stomach-ache symptoms. It turned out tht it was good old strep! And strep can manifest in headaches too.

mali

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 6:18 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
And strep can manifest in headaches too.
yup! I had it in my bloodstream when I was younger. I had terrible headaches. in any case, the sooner you find out, the better.

happyone

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 3:53 pm
Have a blood test taken to check his ASO level. That would check the strep titer in his blood. Like other posters have said, strep could manifest in stomach aches and headaches, and needs to be address. If ignored it can turn into rheumatic fever g-d forbid. Stress and sinus infections can also me a source for head aches. If you're really concerned, a ct-scan would calm your nerves, but first rule out basics.

imanut

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 3:58 pm
when my brother was about 5 he was put in a class with older, bigger kids and he was getting really bad headaches and nightmares.
when he was put back with kids his own age they stopped.
isn't 7.5 a little young for third grade?

JEWISHMAMA

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 3:35 am
it might just be his sinuses or even hayfever. All 3 of my kids suffer from headaches caused by their sinuses. Remember it is spring and pollen is up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics