Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Gifted Children

amother

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 10:51 pm
Although my son has not yet been diagnosed as gifted I know he is.. He is 3 years old and already knows both Alphabet and Aleph Beis and is begininning to learn sounds. His preschool teachers have come to me on several occasions to tell me that he is exeptionally advanced. I don't want to be a pushy mother and put him ahead in school but I would welcome some advice on how I can foster his intelligence and help him along!!!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 7:06 am
My son knew his Abc's & Alef Bet uppercase and lowercase with sounds by the time he was 2 and a 1/2. From my experience now that he's older I feel that by 3rd grade most kids catch up. In order to not have him bored and to foster his intellect I would keep providing advanced workbooks and also on various topics for his age so that he can learn at his own pace and will have plenty of stimulis.

hindyandrafi

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 9:04 am
Interesting topic.. My 2 1/2 year old son is also very advanced for his age. He knows letters/numbers and can even navigate the mouse on the computer!!! I also know that while he is academically advanced, socially its better for them to mix with kids their own age and not push them up a grade... I work with him at home using fun matching games and reading more advanced books and asking him questions.

I think the question you are asking is how to encourage him without pushing... Let him take the initiative. When you read ask him questions that involve critical thinking.. how he thinks a story will end ect.. Do you have an ACE store near you? They have great books and manipulatives to use at home....

realeez

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 9:57 am
My now 4 y.o. ds could identify the abcs and aleph bais by 22 months and could navigate the mouse at 19 months. by 2 he knew shapes and colours and use the computer to play games by himself. he memorizes the set up of letters so he can open things up by himself.

who knows? maybe he ka"h is gifted but that word kind of scares me and what does it really matter?

I encourage him with his interests w/o pushing him b/c I don't want him to be too bored in school. he loves colouring and drawing so I taught him to print his name at 3 1/2. he loves parsha that he learns in school so we sing the torah island parsha song so he memorized all hte parshios in beraishis and shemos (up to current). he is doing great in school and remembers everything he learns, b"h.

Last edited by realeez on Sun, Mar 26 2006, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mandy

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:00 am
I do not want to burst everyone's bubbles here. So, sorry for what I am about to say. Whether your child is gifted or just above average (or just average with a mommy who worked hard with him) is not going to be apparent until the age of 7-8. IQ is notoriously unstable before then.
The younger the child is, the more likely he or she will look gifted. A four year old, for example, can easily test as gifted on a standard IQ scale if he can do several basic tasks that other children have simply not yet been exposed to.

But now for the good news. If your child is advanced for age, I would push the creativity bit because that is what ultimately distinguishes special talents. Have him or her invent toys, make shows, solve problems, do puzzles, logic games, etc. There are also so many board games available that challenge the mind. Memory Matching, mindmaster, connect four, chess, etc.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:15 am
sorry to spark a controversy, but if there are so many people saying their 2 yr olds know the alef bais, why does it mean that a 2 yr old who knows the alefbais is "gifted"?
just because in school they dont finish the alef-bais until theyre 5 shock, doesnt mean that if youre 2 yr old knows it, he's automatically gifted!
my 2 yr old has knows the alef bais, numbers, colors, shapes, and much more! and he's toilet trained, for many many months now.
and NO, I dont think he's gifted. I think he's a normal average child with maybe a good memory.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:25 am
My kids are TOTALLY NOT GIFTED, but I'll share what I have heard. Gifted doesn't mean knowing things like shapes, colors, letters, etc at an early age. That's usually more indicative of a parent exposing the child earlier, or a child with good memory skills. In fact, sometimes if a child is so advanced in these areas, at the expense of social development, it is actually a problem.
What makes a child gifted is their ability to use critical thinking. Meaning that if you read them a story, they can answer questions like "what would've happened if......?", or "can you think of a different ending to this story?".
I'll be anonymous, because I don't like to be the bearer of bad news Sad .
Seriously, just enjoy your children, work with them at their level, and if they are gifted, you'll know soon enough.

realeez

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 12:25 pm
I definitely don't consider him gifted - like I said that word scares me!
Don't worry Mandy, you didnt burst my bubble! maybe others though!
He is advanced for his age and that is wonderful but what that will mean in 10 years, who knows?!
In the mean time, let him enjoy being a 4 year old!

ektsm

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 5:05 pm
We all like to think our children are the biggest geniouses!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 5:26 pm
I was reading books before I was 3. My parents encouraged creativity and intellectual activities as much as I wanted and I was always in gifted programs in school, but what did that mean? Today you wouldn't know the difference, and aside from my good education, I'm just a regular wife and mother like most of the women here.

If you do believe your child to be gifted, encourage him, but don't push him, and see where that takes him. Let him take the initiative.

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 5:52 pm
Quote:
He is 3 years old and already knows both Alphabet and Aleph Beis and is begininning to learn sounds.

This is not gifted but smart.
As a teacher I have few smart kids doing that at that age.

To me gifted is when a two year old visited my home and not joking or exxagerating pronounced clearly there are 4 people here to greet us mummy she was right. She then procedeed playroom and as we were chatting she is singing no joking here the numbers clearly up to 100 I was shocked shock yes she is diff but no qualms about it that is called gifted Exclamation

stem

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 6:19 pm
How about a 2 year old in the bath singing and counting at the top of her lungs from 1 till 100, and then when she got to 100, counted down to 1 (and then she said "and before one comes zero!")

This girl could tell you instantly what comes before 78 or what comes after 24. it's scary. At 18 months she could read a digital clock and know what time it is, and also what time it will be in 1 minute, 2 minutes or 3 minutes.

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:11 pm
Yes stem at 3 yrs she was doing math, pluses and not 1+1 but more like 5+8 etc I was freaked out and it was mind work not written stuff shock

stem

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:17 pm
Tefila, maybe we're talking about the same girl! Wink

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:46 pm
Could be could be not 8) but this is what is called gifted. How old is the girl you know now? Then I will know if we r talking about the same one Tongue Out

stem

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 10:21 pm
She's 4 now...

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 10:48 pm
Neh wrong kid then LOL This one is almost 6 Exclamation yup must be more then one of those around then Very Happy

Emuna

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 1:06 am
Montessori claims that if given the appropriate training a 12-month-old will set the table and eat quietly with spoon and fork. Are these kids gifted or just well trained? I'd be curious what the average Japanese pre-schooler can do.

MOM222

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 4:34 pm
Gifted children learn things themselves with out the help from adults. The figure out how things work, play music by ear at a very young age, can memorize and remember numbers, faces, dates, peoples....
Every child can be gifted differently.

But if you teach your child to sing in 4 languages, or read does not mean he/she is gifted. The child then is usaully very smart and a quick learner.

You still should encourage creative thinking, play games, and not push. The same still applies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics