Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
A question about gebrochs

shira

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 1:33 pm
We are having a seder with chasidishe friends of ours who do not eat gebrochs (and we do). I had intended on contributing my portion of the seder/meal and, of course, cooking that portion in my own kitchen. This friend just informed me that since my kailim are gebrochs, I cannot use them to prepare food to be eaten in her house and I'll need to do all cooking in her house. Aside from being a royal pain, this struck me as a bit strange. Can it really be that my kailim that were used to prepare gebrochs food A YEAR AGO are problematic?

I'm not offended or anything (a bit peeved about the inconvience maybe) I'm really just looking for clarification from those who are more familiar with gebrochs vs. non.
Thanks!

doublelucky

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 1:43 pm
in our family we do not eat gebrochs, however on the last night/day of pessach we do, any of the keilim that were used in the process, are used the following year, no problem... this is what we do, you may wanna find out if this is what they are ok with as well... good luck!

LoveMy2Kids

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 1:46 pm
My sisters all eat gebrokts, but growing up we did not. The years my parents went to them for Pesach they were able to use their keilim as long as they had not used them since the year before, but my guess is some people are more stringent.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 2:12 pm
There are plenty of people who will not eat at someone elses home all year long. On pesach there are so many minhaggim. Don't take it personally.

estherf

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 4:50 pm
We all are much stricter on Pesach then year around. I would not let any of my friends to bring food into my house. And there is nothing personal in it. Most of them would not let. It is just another chumra of Pesach. Kol va Chomer gebroks.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 5:04 pm
Yes. some people are makpid on keilim. it's anyway not a year ago, it's a week less than a year ago, right?

shira

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 5:26 pm
Again, I am not taking this personally! I'm just trying to understand.
Explain this to me- the whole kunst of gebrochs is not mixing matzo meal and water, yes? so..........lets say that you have matzo on a plate and you wash that plate- what happens to the kli? And for those who eat gebrochs on the last day of pesach- what happens to your kli the next year?

doublelucky

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 7:20 pm
Im my parents house, we try not to put the matza on the table and each person has his/her own "matza bag" , as this helps to avoid matza getting on the table, on the silverware, plates etc. some ppl. are even more careful and they don't even serve matza at the mal period! a sfar as what happens to the keili over the year.. I'm not sure.. but this is how we try to avoid it...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 7:27 pm
we don't set the table until the matza is put away.

as far as the next year..some people DO have separate kaylim for the last day of peszch, could you believe it?

ektsm

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 7:33 pm
Yeah but it's a lubab thing or chassidic thing?:

hisorerus

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 8:00 pm
We just don't ever COOK any gebrochts. And we only have disposables on the table, except for the bechers which whoever has one takes responsibility for.

girlsmom

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 8:07 pm
hisorerus wrote:
We just don't ever COOK any gebrochts.

Wow, no matza balls then I guess. In my family the last day (when we eat gebrochts) is the highlight. It's funny because the next day we can eat chometz but the kids look forward to that day a whole Pesach anyway.

ChavieK

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 8:50 pm
I would guess sara g is right. It's a week less than a year ago. but don't sweat it my inlaws won't eat in my house & they even missed my 1st sons bris (their 1st grandson) his bris was 2nd day pesach at my parents. my mom offered to not use any of her kelim, only disposable or new & let mil do the cooking & buy only what she wanted....but htye wouldn't eat anywhere.also she freaks with the g'brochts thing. the dishes have to be washed immediatly after eating or they may become chametz. My boys are not too happy as they can't change their minhag.My girls are hoping for the best!!

ektsm

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 8:28 am
I am surprised they would even consider eating by you.

shira

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 12:55 pm
They aren't eating by me, we are having the seder by them. Meanwhile, my husband spoke to my friend's husband who said that they aren't makpid on kailim so............I can cook in the privacy and convienence of my own kitchen and those two need to communicate a little better Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics