Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you do with your chometz?

supermommy

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 11:32 am
Do you lock up all your cookies and pretzels?
or have a frantic fress fest a few months before pesach just to use everything up?
or throw things away?
just curious what everyone does.

stem

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 11:57 am
Starting tu bishvat I stop stocking up on chametz food like cereal pretzels and bread and eat whatever's in the house. If we need more I buy just enough for the week. Around rosh chodesh nissan I buy nothing, just eat up whatever's left. By bedikas chametz night, we have either nothing or very little left in the house, which we then burn or throw away.

mom3boys

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 12:20 pm
Sell it all. Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 1:00 pm
just put it away and sell those shelves and closets that have the chametz it them.

chen

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 3:08 pm
stop stocking up at least by Purim; bake like mad for a few weeks (it's easier to finish off a few cakes than a sack of flour); become borderline vegetarians eating lots of grains and legumes to use up as much as possible; give away sealed nonperishables to an org that holds a food drive for the needy about 2 weeks before pesach; sell what remains of the chometzdik-but-not-real chometz nonperishables; burn the odd half cup of rolled oats or other real chometz; throw out the leftover lokshen kugel and other perishables unless they are very valuable. (can't actually think of anything that would qualify as valuable but perishable.)

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 4:54 pm
btw, chen, I just heard from two very reputable Rav's that flour is not chometz gamur. I guess you'd have to ask your own to make sure. but you're still not supposed to stock up b4 pesach, u just don't have to get rid of what u already have.

ektsm

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 5:12 pm
I get rid of everything that way when I clear my kitchen out I can start over with fresh food. You know how sometimes you can have old cans lying around. I get rid of that cooking them and opening them before Pesach.

queen

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:18 pm
we also do our best at finishing up whatever is in the house..... and we're doing such a good job at it that my fridge is (basically) bare.

LOL a rosh yeshiva called this morning to ask if he could stay with us tonight- so out I RAN quickly to get some "real" food in order to give him lunch/supper/breakfast!!!!

I got back to my house about 2 minutes before he arrived.... and within 10 minutes he was sitting down to a great lunch. He enjoyed and I just smiled... Little did he know that the food and him basically walked in at the same time!!!!

chen

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 8:47 am
613 wrote:
btw, chen, I just heard from two very reputable Rav's that flour is not chometz gamur. I guess you'd have to ask your own to make sure. but you're still not supposed to stock up b4 pesach, u just don't have to get rid of what u already have.

My rav said it is b/c the grain is washed.

tzivi

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 10:22 am
give all the chometz to the kinderlach..... they take it outside and make a "pretend supermarket" and eventually end up eating it!! LOL

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 10:30 am
supermommy wrote:
Do you lock up all your cookies and pretzels?
or have a frantic fress fest a few months before pesach just to use everything up?
or throw things away?
just curious what everyone does.

according to Lubavitch minhag, you don't have to use up/get rid of the chometz gamur, just lock it up it's included of course in the mechira. But the reason others do try to use it all up is because their shtar mechiras chometz is different.

The Alter Rebbe's shtar mechiras chometz is done in such a way that it is legally binding according to the law of the land, and is a complete, actual mechira and not that I know the intracacies of it, but it is because of this difference in the shtar and mechira, that it's fine to lock away the chometz gamur. Something about that it's not that you sold your Chometz to the Rav who will then sell it to the [gentile], but rather the Rav is being your agent to sell it to the [gentile].

In fact, my father in law a"h used to stock up b'davka on things like flour before Pesach, because he was mehader to use after Pesach only chometz which was sold through a Lubavitcher (type) shtar and mechira, (there are other groups, Chassidim who also sell this way) and he couldn't be guaranteed that with any of the groceries.

More recently I asked our Rav if we had to do that ( use after Pesach only chometz sold in the Alter Rebbe's way), and he told me no, for a certain reason which I can't remember exactly, but to the effect that chometz she'ovar olov ha'pesach was meant to be a knas(penalty) for someone who didn't sell his chometz, and here the person did sell, even if differently so the knas doesn't apply.[/I]

chen

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 11:00 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
it's not that you sold your Chometz to the Rav who will then sell it to the [gentile], but rather the Rav is being your agent to sell it to the [gentile].

All mechiras chometz is done in this way. It is in fact recommended to give the rov a sum of money as his "brokerage fee" for the service. Anyone who has the misconception that the chometz is being sold to the Rov should be disabused of that notion pronto.

binah918

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 6:41 am
SaraYehudis and Chen...

Your posts made sense, (I.e. the rav is the AGENT of the sale as opposed to selling the chometz directly to him), until I checked my email and read the Pesach edition of Sefer HaMinhagim. It seems that it is just the opposite? I'm a bit confused now!? Below is taken from Sichos in English:

(f) The Sale of Chametz:

It is not the custom in the Rebbe's household to make the rav an
agent for the sale (mechiras chametz); rather, the leaven is sold
to him outright, with an areiv kablan, a third-party guarantor.
[293]

Footnote:

293. HaYom Yom, p. 45.

ektsm

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 8:28 am
WE try to eat it all before pesach and the rest we sell.

hisorerus

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 9:18 am
We just sell it, no rush to eat everything up.

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 2:27 pm
We sell all our chometz gamur and all, but this year I was more extra careful not to buy too much chometz. My DH doesnt like selling chometz gamur (although his minhag is to sell it), but I dont have the heart to throw anything out.

Though I'm not sure what to do about all the purim junk I still have. My kids get too crazy on all the sugar.

deedee

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 2:29 pm
just throw it out!

shayna82

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 2:36 pm
we eat up whatever we can, I.e.-finish frozen vedgies, old tomatoe sauce cans, old duck sauce, and the like. but our main cabiners with flour, sugar, and all baking ingredients, plus noodles, pudding mixes, and basics like that, we lock up and sell.

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 2:38 pm
I guess your right, I'll have to throw it out Sad , but first I'm gonna go thru it for the nosh I like and sell it Smile , besides, most of it is probably more kitniyos, than chometz.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics