Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What are y'all eating and feeding your families 'till you...

Mishie

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 5:11 am
'till you change over your kitchens from Chametz to Pesach????

Help!
I need some ideas!!!!!

I don't want to give them any bread / crackers / anything with chametz crumbs...
It's just making me too nervous.... I can't stand there and watch them every second, to make sure they aren't walking around the house with crumbs on their shirts....

But, on the other hand, I'm not ready to start with Pesach Food yet.
I'm only gonna do the Food Shopping for Pesach AFTER Shabbos....

Tonight I'm making: Chicken Stir-Fry over Rice.

Any more ideas???
Thanks,
Mishie
8) [/img]

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 5:49 am
Baked Gefilte Fish rolls, baked sweet potatoes, baked potatoes.

rice cereal and milk,scrambled eggs, canned vegetables, corn.

hard boiled eggs, egg salad., tuna, tomatoes and cucumbers, fruit, canned fruit.

hot dogs and fries (takeout)

pasta and cottage cheese - it doesn't crumble. rice cakes with melted cheese in toaster oven.

My kids are older already and can be more responsible, so I am giving them sandwiches. they know the rules (they'd better by now!) and brush / rinse off after eating.

But we do eat in a small, separate room, an old (once upon a time) kitchen at the back of the house, so it's much easier. There is a refrigerator and a sink, but no stove. I use a hotplate, and set up the toaster oven there. We call it the chometz kitchen. (the "real" kitchen is in the middle of getting cleaned, and hopefully prepared to kasher after shabbos. I'll still use it this week for cooking for Shabbos iyh.)

If I didn't have that spare room, I don't know how I'd manage. Before we lived in this house, we lived in a small apartment, but were able to eat in the basement for a few days before Pesach.

one of my neighbors would feed her kids sandwiches on the stoop in front of the entrance to our building. If it was cold, they just ate in their coats.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 10:02 am
It's very hard. The diet book says to prepare for the week before Pesach, too.

Lastr night we cooked but ate everything; Chinese food we won't have during yomtov.

Tonite I ama taking out of the freezer a dairy casserole to put in the toater oven, since the kitchen work is underway.

We have to eat breakfast and lunch too, and that'll be cereal, fruit, yogurt, and probably takeout sandwiches, on the porch.

We get the Pesach take out food for a few meals, too. It's pretty expenisve butw edo like it and we get different food than we would make for yomtov; I keep a list of what we like and don't like.

We should be finished with the cleaning, shopping,a nd unpacking by Sunday night, so then we will eat real Pesach food, but again, stuff we don'gt use during the holiday, like cake mixs, etc.

Do what works for you, budget for it and keep lists. A hungry family is bad!

RedVines

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 3:04 pm
what are you eating- sun, monday, tues.? I hope to change over the kitchen sun. than what???

what type of pesach food...anything but matza?

one more question: can I keep sep. pans for gebrocks to use for the kids?

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 3:31 pm
My kids are little so even though they know they need to jump and wash up before going in to the other rooms they need constant reminders. I do yogurt, chicken, chopped meat(meat balls, hamberger), hot dogs and cold cuts(plain). My kids love hot dogs and cold cuts, they would eat it every night for supper if they could, ugh . It's good (not healthy) because they are not crummy and only kitniyos.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 4:39 pm
it's a good time of year for a microwave or toaster or crockpot out of the kitchen!

Mishie

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 4:58 pm
SaraG - OT - but, how is your DH?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics