Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Appraiser in Baltimore

amother

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 11:22 am
The guy who appraised our house no longer does it. Does anyone have the name of someone good? Anon to keep my location confidential. Thanks.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 11:26 am
It really depends on why you're doing the appraisal. If you're selling your home, I believe you would do it with an attorney and real estate agent.

Barry Nabozny does appraisals, but according to DH, he's expensive.

mommalah

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 11:27 am
I second Barry Nabozny. I didn't know that he was more expensive than the others. He's a good guy though. Very honest.

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 1:23 pm
I thought most places charge about the same price- $400. (We're looking to re-finance and were told that would be the price for the appraisal)
When you say "good" - what are you looking for? We had a problem when we bought our house because we got one appraisal but then decided to use a different mortgage lender and had to get a new appraisal becuase that lender doesn't use that appraiser. This was a few years ago, and I think it was $350 then.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 1:47 pm
It should be part of the bank fees.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 1:49 pm
Isn't that only if you're refinancing?

Tova

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 3:28 pm
When we got our home equity line of credit, the bank did pay all closing fees (included appraisal, etc.) but we'd owe it back to them if we sold our house within 2 or 3 years (can't remember now) of closing on the line of credit.

I have never heard of a bank paying the appraisal costs for a primary mortgage - it is there on the closing statement and may just be included in the net amount due at the bottom.

$300-400 sounds right to me. I would be surprised if there was much variation. Usually the lender orders one for you and you don't have much say.

But 613 - I am surprised once you already did it you had to repay to do it w/ another appraiser. You must have hated that, but I am sure if you changed lenders there was a reason for it! Just out of curiosity - did both appraisers come out in the same ballpark? What there a significant differential? The whole business can be somewhat subjective.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics