Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Sefardi & Lubavitch -kitniyot on Pesach

cl

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 7:19 am
If any of you are lubavitch and sefardi please let me know what u do on pesach re: kitniyot. (DH is sefardi, I'm ashkenazi. We have 1 kid.)

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 8:34 am
is your husband Lubavitch? Because AFAIK Lubavitcher Sefardim follow the minhag of our Lubavitcher Rebbeim, and therefore don't eat kitniyos. This is what some of our (Sefardi background, Lubavitcher) Israeli Tishrei guests have told me. Of course you should ask your Rav Very Happy

However this was an issue with one of my friend's, because her husband was Sefardi and NOT Lubavitch, and she was Ashkenazi and Lubavitch. Her husband wanted to follow his Sefardic minhag,and they asked a Rav (his Rav is Ashkenazi, not Lubavitch) and that is what they did.

If there is any conflict about it, you must ask a Rav, and it would seem preferably in your case, a Lubavitcher Rav .

estherf

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 3:06 pm
Being sefardim you are allowed to eat rice but you do not have to. So I guess it is up to you. Why should you drop your family minhag? Most of sephardic families I know eat both potatoes and rice (if they have time to check it before Pesach). I heard checking rice is HUGE work to do.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 3:18 pm
It's not necessarily up to the OP and her husband to decide, since Chabad minhagim sometimes clash with Sefardi minhagim, especially on Pesach issues. A rav should definitely be consulted!

stem

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 3:25 pm
AFAIK, when a woman gets married she takes on her husband's minhagim.

red sea

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 4:03 pm
When you get married you take on all your husbands minhagim, you are now sfardi like your husband as far as minhagim go, I have never heard a rabbi tell a man he should follow his fil's minhagim.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 4:14 pm
If the couple in question identifies as Lubavitch, then a rav should be consulted to sort through the Chabad v. Sefardi minhagim. Please stop giving a psak din!

didan

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 6:40 pm
B"H

I know some Lubavitcher Sefardi families who do eat kitnios on Pesach.

cl

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 5:16 pm
ok, then my question is this:
does anyone know of a RAV who is lubavitch and sefardi an knowledgeable about both customs.
DH davens in lubavitch, wears kapote etc an believes in the Rebbe but still holds his family customs very dearly. I am happy to follow sefardic customs but when they clash with lubavitch, in the case of kitniyos I wud like to get an answer from a s/1 sensitive to these issues.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 7:13 pm
cl wrote:
believes in the Rebbe

Don't you mean "believes in G-d"?

cl

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 8:29 pm
I was clarifying his level of connection to lubavitch. Belief in G-d goes without saying. Belief in the Rebbe's Wisdom and Greatness is what I meant.

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 8:59 pm
mummyof6 wrote:
Don't you mean "believes in G-d"?
What's the question? Belief goes on both Hashem, and His servants, the neviim, e.g. tzaddikim. "Vayaaminu BaHashem UveMoshe Avdo" .

cl wrote:
does anyone know of a RAV who is lubavitch and sefardi an knowledgeable about both customs.

it is not necessary for a Rav to be sefardi to know the halacha for sefardim, and in fact it probably is one of the most common shailos, that many Lubavitcher Rabbonim deal with, as any other Rabbonim. Why don't you ask the Rav whom you and your husband usually adress your shailos to?

(There are of course rabbonim who are both sefardi and lubavitch, if you must insist, in addition to Lubavitcher Rabbonim who serve as Marei d'asrah in sefardic shuls, communities. for example Rabbi Avraham Hecht comes to mind.)

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 10:20 am
Most sefardim do not hold by lubavich. if you are married to a sefardi lubavicher that keeps his families minhagim, then you keep his minhagim, whether they are lubavich or not.

Also for those who eat kitniyot, they sell prechecked rice, its expensive, but most sefardim who use rice buy it.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 10:42 am
Quote:
Most sefardim do not hold by lubavich. if you are married to a sefardi lubavicher that keeps his families minhagim, then you keep his minhagim, whether they are lubavich or not.

This is a very misleading post. How many sefardim are most? HaRav Mordechai Eliyahu, respected Sephardic Cheif Rabbi in Israel holds the world from Lubavitch. He has given Semicha to Lubavitcher Rabbinical students.

He has the highest esteem for the Rebbe and has been to visit the Rebbe on at least one and probably more than one occassion. His son, Rabbi Yaakov Eliyahu, also a respected Rav, identifies strongly with Lubavitch. The present Sephardic Cheif Rabbi, rabbi Amar has a very close relationship with Lubavitch, and is supportive of Lubavitch activities.

HaRav Kaduri z"l visited the Rebbe, and had a very close relationship with the Rebbe. The Babba Sali z"l too had a very close connection with the Rebbe. So I don't know where your information is coming from but it's to put it mildly inaccurate, and perhaps biased.

There are a great number of sefardi Lubavitchers. (or maybe they don't count because they hold from Lubavitch Wink ) Most of them, from what I know, keep the Lubavitcher minhagim. Since the OP's husband IS Lubavitch this is definitely a question for a LUBAVITCHER Rav.

cl, does your husband daven Nusach Sefard or Nusach Ari? That might give you some idea of what is his identity as far as minhagim.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 11:59 am
Slightly off topic, what criteria makes a person Lubavitch?

sarahd

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 1:53 pm
SY, I think she meant most sefardim don't hold Lubavitch minhagim, not that they don't hold "of" Lubavitch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics