Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What do you make of the last decade?

sneakermom

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 8:36 pm
So we are coming to 2010, closing in on the first decade of this century. So much has happened....how would you define it? Good, bad....

I clearly remember the hype and scare surrounding the new millennium, when New Years went by smoothly, nary a glitch from the computer systems etc, things calmed down for a while.

Then came September 11, and for me that was the most defining moment of the century. Once that happened there was no going back. The world was faced with a new reality.

The Bush era....two wars, his mistakes, his friendship with Israel etc.

And now Obama....which worries me a great deal. I fear he is a sociopath...so for me that is a cause for anxiety.

And in the Jewish world....Off the top of my head I would say the emerging influence of the internet on the Jewish world. It allows us to converge on here...and discuss things across continents, states and religious affiliations.

I think it also made a great deal of change for victims of s-xual abuse in our community. They have created a safe place online to discuss their pain and work to stop the perpetrators. Creating an awareness of the problem, how it manifests itself and what needs to be done within the community.

I also think materialism seeped into our culture a great deal. I live in NY so that is where my perspective comes from. The pursuit of objects and pleasure....is common and normalized. Although I think the current recession has got a lot of us rethinking our priorities.

So whats your take on the last decade?

mimivan

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 8:48 pm
well, I went from being a Bohemian artistic single 20 something in my Brooklyn Apartment on Grand Army Plaza with a view of the Statue Liberty, someone with loads of free time, enough cash, friends, fun, abundant opportunities to grow as a playwright; I had everything I wanted but a purpose.

I remember sitting in my apartment in New Years Eve 2000 blowing bubbles while watching d!ck Clark on TV because I was too afraid of a terror attack to go to Times Square..at the same time, I was reflecting on the feeling of purposelessness but had no answers on what to do about it.

Long story short, ten years later, I'm living in a tiny apartment in Yirushalaim married with ba'h 3 kids (today is my 7th wedding anniversary) and I feel dizzy to think about how my life has changed. I'm still pursuing my creative goals, but in a different medium...how so much can change...

The events in the past decade I feel most affected by are 9/11...that was the end of one era and the beginning of a new one. The second Persian Gulf War, the space shuttle disaster with Israeli astronaut Ilan Ramon ob'm..

The pogram in Gush Katif left us in a state of shock...not least because the world (even Jewry overseas) seemed to care less...

The Mumbai attacks were like the Jewish 9/11

and then there is my own personal 9/11 Crying not going into it here...Moshiach should come...!

I can't believe it has been ten years since I was sitting on that shaggy rug in my apartment wondering what was missing...well, what I was missing was everything...and everything happened to me this decade.

Last edited by mimivan on Sat, Dec 05 2009, 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

fmt4

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 9:20 pm
Wow, mimivan, your post almost made me cry. That transformation in only ten years is truly amazing and inspiring.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 9:58 pm
2000-2005 were the worst five years of my life. I was pregnant six times and lost all six pregnancies. I endured the births of 10 babies to younger siblings. I yoyoed from depression to acceptance to anger and grief to resorting to 'different' ways of coping with my life. I was introduced to the internet and made 100s of new friends.

2005-2010 were so far the best years of my life... when I could finally BH say "imamother"...

tzatza

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 10:53 pm
Well, ...
-I married my husband, had my first son, then almost 4 years of unexplained infertility (with all ups and downs that come with it), then, BH, my second child, and 18 months later - 3rd
- I've witnessed my beloved Mom's brave fight with stage 4 pancreatic cancer for 17 long, horrendous months and her passing, sobbing hysterically at the funeral home with my baby (2nd) growing inside.
- I've completed my graduate studies in social work and got my license (all of it was a result of 9/11 - I've worked with families who lost their loved ones in the tragedy.)
- I've been blessed with incredible friends and new family members.
Overall, BH, it's been a good and maturing ride.

mimivan

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 11:40 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
2000-2005 were the worst five years of my life. I was pregnant six times and lost all six pregnancies. I endured the births of 10 babies to younger siblings. I yoyoed from depression to acceptance to anger and grief to resorting to 'different' ways of coping with my life. I was introduced to the internet and made 100s of new friends.

2005-2010 were so far the best years of my life... when I could finally BH say "imamother"...

wow, what a transformation, Mamabear!...you remind me of the posuk (sorry if not exact)..."those who sow with tears will reap in gladness!"

mltjm

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 11:40 pm
Wow!!! Compared to all these posts, I feel so little! Ten years ago I was (just turned) eleven. Had just started at a new school and was boarding away from home. Fought with my parents A LOT over the next few years about being lubavitch. Now I've graduated, gone to seminary, went on shlichus, and here I am married. And not living in Crown Heights like I always thought I would. Weird.

As for the world in the last ten years...frankly, I'm not too impressed.

fmt4

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 11:52 pm
Ten years ago I was ten. shock I have no idea what I was doing lol. Nothing that important really happens when you're ten. From 10-20 are probably the biggest changes a person goes through.

cookielady

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 11:55 pm
The past tens years? I could write a book.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics