Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Your bathroom garbage (can)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:30 pm
I grew up without a bathroom garbage can and whatever I used I put in my own bedroom's garbage can and that was that.

Somehow, as an adult, I ended up with small garbage cans in each bedroom (which is fine, each person takes care of their own) and one in each bathroom. Needless to say, who wants to look at bathroom garbage!

I am toying with the idea of either getting rid of the garbage can, or getting one with a top. Emptying it is prob. a discussion for another thread (it doesn't often get emptied as it's, well, disgusting) but at least one with a top means we don't have to look at each other's garbage.

Anyone ?

Kugel lover

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:32 pm
I put little garbage bags in my bathroom garbage cans & when I see there's something disgusting in it I throw the whole garbage bag out!

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:38 pm
Um...how can a person have a bathroom without a covered trashcan? Where do you put used sanitary products? Panty liners? Where do you throw out tissues and wrappers of soaps and the like? What about bandaids that people change? Where do you put used shampoo containers etc?

It is always incredibly embarrasing for me to be in a bathroom that doesn't have a closed and covered trashcan. What does a woman do in someone's house where she goes into the bathroom to change a sanitary napkin and there is no where to throw out the old one? So many of us just keep one or two clean ones in our bras (if you are big enough they are just a bit of extra padding) if we are going out and don't want to take a handbag into the bathroom with us.

At home - if I didn't have a trashcan in the bedroom I would have to walk out of the bathroom with a rolled up dirty bloody napkin in my hand and walk with it all the way across the apartment into the kitchen where we have the only other covered trash can. Do I really want all the men in the apartment to see me like that? Do I really want them to look into the general trash can and see something like that all wrapped up? In the bathroom trash can usually only the girls use it just for that reason and as we are the ones who unwrap the soap and end up clearing out the shower from debris we are the only ones to use it...and clean it . There is a plastic bag inside and when it gets full we just lift it out and replace and throw it downstairs into the building trashcan.

Otherwise it would be so embarrasing! Why does everyone in the house need to know when I have my period or when any of the girls have theirs? Why would we have to walk out of the bathroom in front of everyone and walk through the living room and dining area where everyone sits to go into the kitchen to throw out a used napkin? Yuk.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:40 pm
Ours isn't covered, but I recently decided to get a covered one as I thought it was more tznius and just appropriate in general for the reasons freidasima mentioned.

As for cleaning, I end up emptying it almost daily because of the diapers and tissues and whatnot from the kids.

(edited: I do wrap anything and then make sure it's covered. but to save the extra tissues, and anyone else's embarrassment, that's why I decided to get a covered one.)

(edited second time for spelling error)

Last edited by Tehilla on Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

prettyone

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:41 pm
dont you wrap it up? why will everyone see?

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 12:44 pm
We have a big freesanding kitchen garbage can with a pedal lid. Everyone uses it as everyone is in and out of the kitchen. As we don't use almost any ready made or packaged food most of the stuff in there is either organic matter such as peels, leftovers thrown out, bones (too bad we dont do compost!) and the occasional cereal box or plastic wrapper. Oh also my aluminum foil that gets used up. If something would suddenly appear all wrapped up in there in toilet paper...what do you think people would think? And yes, people actually look down into the garbage can if it is almost thigh high when you open the bin...

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 1:24 pm
We have garbages but they aren't covered, though after reading this thread I might get new ones. Basically, I just wrap whatever I'm throwing out and/or just put a clean tissue over it.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 1:25 pm
Oh, and I empty them regularly...downstairs where the guests are, you usually end of throwing things into the very bottom of the can where no one can see, and, of course they're lined with a plastic bag!

fiddle

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 1:56 pm
I actually dont have one in my bathroom as I have no big kids and never any guests.

I have a small one with a cover in my bedroom that I use for wet diapers and nursing pads and pantyliners. I dont use pads so I dont have that issue of rolling things up, and when the TP is done or the shower soaps are done I just dispose of them in the kitchen garbage because they are big and would take up too much room in a garbage pail if I did have one anyways. when I do have guests I put a garbage pail with a cover in the bathroom.

Vegieburger

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 3:02 pm
I have small ones in each bathroom, with small garbage bags. The kid's bathroom is emptied daily.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 3:13 pm
I have one in the basement and one on the first floor in the kitchen. I have non upstairs and non in the bathrooms.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics