Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Need Ideas for Gift for Hostess...

Mishie

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 5:28 am
Hi all,

We're going to my Parents (who live about an hour away) for the first 2 days of Yom-Tov.

Do you have any ideas of something nice I can bring for my Mom?
(in previous years we got them: the silver kiddush cup that pours into little cups, serving platters etc...
They don't really use them....)

I offered to help with the cooking, but she said: "you have enough on your hands".
and if I want I can bring the Lettuce, and prepare it.

But, I want to bring something else, that won't just get eaten up.... :-)
Ideas???

happy2beme

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 8:38 am
sorry, I have the same problem!!! can't decide what to get!!! one time I got a nice silk floral arrangement with fancy vase for living room...

shoy18

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 9:03 am
If you live in Brooklyn, On avenue J thier is a store called the Silver Cellar, they have the most beautiful gifts I have ever seen. (no I dont work there nor know the people who do)

Also on Avenue M, The Yelloow Door also has gorgeous things.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 10:59 am
what about a nice pillowcase, afikoman bag, washing towels, washing cup...matzah tray,

Brooklynite

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 1:39 pm
Last year I got my MIL an electric juicer and this year I bought a new Pesach cookbook (The Balabusta's Choice). Of course, this needs to be delivered before Pesach, so I wrapped it and added a card (something like - so you wouldn't say I didn't help with the cooking) and had someone put it into her pesach kitchen (we don't live nearby).

Perhaps a nice book/game for the kids/stuff they can enjoy on Yom Tov. Try visiting a Judaica store for ideas...

LoveMy2Kids

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 1:44 pm
How about a nice set of linen? Can you get her a gift certificate to a clothing or robe store, so she can get something new for Yom Tov? Being as my mom has been married a number of years some of her stuff is worn out (linens etc..), so she always appreciates them being replaced. G'luck!

realeez

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 1:45 pm
how much do you want to spend?
I know someone who got a lenox stainless steel designed bowl (really big) that they used when they brought the baal habayis water to wash for urchatz. he poured water into this. after, they used it as a salad bowl.

here is a link to what I mean:

http://www.lenox.com/cat/index.....f=117

chen

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 2:52 pm
Considering that your mom is married at least 20 years, she probably has everything she needs and is not looking forward to receiving another doodad she will either not use or have to dust and polish. Bring consumable goods, which usually means food. It being Pesach and most fridges being overloaded, go for produce or nonperishables. Really special wine or wines, truly stunning fruit, or some exotic new product that has only recently become available.

If her linens are all old and worn, some nice towels or bed linens--but only if you know she will use them and not save them "for a special occasion" which will never come.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 2:56 pm
I agree with Chen.

Bring a nice bottle of wine, even though there will be a lot of wine, it'll probably be a lot of cheap, low alcohol junk. That way, if you're stressed from familial overload, you can chug your good wine, and goodbye to all your worries!

MMEC123

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 4:08 pm
nechamam wrote:
what about a nice pillowcase, afikoman bag, washing towels, washing cup...matzah tray,
That's what I did. I know I don't really have to bring anything for my parents but if you live in NY (and prob. some other places too) they sell GORGEOUS sets of these kinds of things.

queen

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:24 pm
go to the jewish bookstore- you're sure to find something there.......

Mishie

Post Thu, Apr 20 2006, 9:43 am
OK!
Here's what I ended up doing:

1) I got my Mom a GORGEOUS Silk Flower Arrangement. (It cost about 120 shekels, not too bad, considering it will last, as apposed to live flowers which go bad after a few days...)

2) We chipped in with the rest of my brothers and sisters and got my Dad a really nice bottle of wine, and a Very Large toaster oven for my Mom (for Pesach).

3) I also brought 4 heads of lettuce. all washed and prepared.
and: a cake, and homemade Strawberry Ice-Cream.

(We also brought our own Matzha and grape-juice).

So, what do you think?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics