Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Gebrotkts and Korech

stem

Post Sat, Apr 15 2006, 10:48 pm
At the seder I suddenly wondered how chassidim do Korech if they don't do gebrokts. By us, we put lettuce leaves and horseradish in between two pieces of matza and dip the sandwich in Charoses? How do you do it?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 15 2006, 11:06 pm
The lettue leaves have to be washed and dried WELL! It takes a lot of time and shmattas!

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, Apr 15 2006, 11:44 pm
and we dont dip the actual matzah in charoses..we dip the leaves and shake it off.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 15 2006, 11:51 pm
Rochel Leah, doesn't everyone do that? Do some people eat the charosets duirng korech?

stem

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 12:39 am
We dip the korech in charoses and do eat the tiny bit that's on it. We don't purposely spread a large amount on, but we don't shake it off either.
Some of you have mentioned that you wouldn't even eat matza with a slice of cheese because it's remotely wet. Even with drying the lettuce, it's still made of like 95% liquid. So, isn't that gebrokts?

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 9:35 am
its no picnic drying the lettuce, believe me, but its completely dry.

realeez

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 9:39 am
stem, on yom tov I was wondering the same thing!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 10:03 am
Quote:
Some of you have mentioned that you wouldn't even eat matza with a slice of cheese because it's remotely wet. Even with drying the lettuce, it's still made of like 95% liquid. So, isn't that gebrokts?

The liquid of fruits (and I suppose veg.) mei peiros as long as it doesn't have a single drop of water mixed in it does not cause something to become chometz.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 11:02 am
yes, not all liquids cause gebrokts, but minhag Lub. is not to put anylthing on the matza.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 11:15 am
the point is that Korech is not gebrokts! That is if the moror is dried. (and care was taken with the charoses that not a single drop of water was in it)

mommy2

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 1:11 pm
Use a good salad spinner and u'll save yourself a lot of time!!

motheroftwo

Post Thu, Apr 20 2006, 11:50 pm
this is interesting- I asked my mother the same question at the seder and she said on the matzoh it's not gebrokts. its only the dishes that come in contact with water and matzoh at the same time that cause a problem. Also, what happens when we put the matzoh in our mouth? Doesn't it get wet?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 12:09 am
but still, we don't do it that way.

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 7:18 pm
Does this mean that you only use the romaine leaves but not any grated horseradish (the strong stuff)? I learned that I that is dry, it cannot be used.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics