Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Paying the babysitter

motheroftwo

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 8:59 am
I was wondering if anyone had any good advice for me. I have a babsitter who I share with somebody. Basically she comes to me twice a week and to the other person twice a week. Sometimes when I need her the other days I will bring my daughter over to this other person's house and the babysitter will watch her there. I pay her $8/hr when she's by me. Until now I've paid her full when she watches her at the other person's house aswell. My husband thinks that she shouldn't get paid full because she's being paid double, as the other person is also paying full. He thinks I should be paying her only $5 when she's out of the house and $8 when she's at my house.
what do you think? and how can I approach her about this? SHe's a wonderful babysitter and I don't want to antagonize her.

queen

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 12:12 pm
one doesn't get paid double for watching two kids!!!!

(and if you are bringing your child to someone elses house, in my opinion, you should be paying less per hour than the woman who has the convenience of having it in her own home.)

but I agree that finding the correct way to approach and discuss this, is important.

happymom

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 2:22 pm
babysitting and doing it well is a very hard job. I dont think 8 dollars, or even 16 dollars is too much at all for such a job! If anything 16 dollars for 2 kids makes ALOT of sense. I would not pay her 5 an hour. I dont see a problem with you both paying eight. doesnt she deserve it??! Also it makes sense you always pay the same because sometimes its at your house and sometimes hers.... this is a fair set up...

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 4:06 pm
16 an hour?!?! Happymom, where do you live? I would think that you should definitely be paying her less when she's watching both kids-like maybe each pay 5 or maybe you pay five and she pay 7, etc., but definitely not double for two kids!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 6:58 pm
if your kid is basically a good kid, I would suggest making some sort of agreement if she's watching the two kids. For example, you and your friend both pay $6 or something. I don't think your friend needs to pay more, unless the babysitter is doing housekeeping, too!

motheroftwo

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 10:53 pm
So what would be the best way to bring this up to her? We've been paying her double for a while already so is it right to change things at this point?

newmom

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 11:35 pm
Sorry, but I really think it is too late to change your financial arrangement. Even though it makes sense to pay less when sharing a babysitter, this arrangement should have been set out from the beginning. You don't want your babysitter to resent you for cutting her wages. After all, she is watching your most precious commodity.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 11:53 pm
Can you tell her you were erroneously paying her double? Then it won't look like you're changing your mind.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 12:40 pm
If she charges you $8.00 an hour for your one child in your home, and $8.00 an hour for your friend's child in her home, with double the work when the two children are put together regardless of the venue, it is fair that each of you pay her the $8.00. Afterall, as NewMom mentioned above, your child IS your most precious commodity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics