Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tonsils and adenoids

Did any of your children have their tonsils and/or adenoids removed?
Yes  
 33%  [ 6 ]
No  
 66%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 18

stem

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 6:16 pm
Has anyone had their kids tonsils and/or adenoids removed? What was your experience in terms of how much and how long the pain was? was it in hospital or outpatient? Did insurance cover it since its an elective surgery? Was the kid traumatized? How did you explain what was going on?

My daughter has humoungous tonsils and adenoids which affect her breathing especially when she's sleeping. We're looking into having them removed and I'm so nervous!

Thank you for your support!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 6:31 pm
When my son was 5 years old, he snored very loudly, had sinus infections, possibly didn't sleep as well, was underweight, etc. This little guy was 3 month premature at birth and still had loads of leftover health problems. We took him to one ENT who had a regular tonsil and adenoid removal business. Of course he recommended surgery. I scheduled it but then our child got sick and it had to be postponed. During that time I did research and saw two other doctors. It turns out that tonsils and adenoids grow smaller as the child grows older and until then easy solutions such as breathe right nasal strips which are sold in drugstores can help. Also a wedge pillow for elevation. The other ENT said that our child was too frail for surgery and prescribed a drug that would shrink the adenoids.
Our son is now BH 16.5 and still has his tonsils and adenoids. He just went back to yeshiva today so I miss him already. The Lubavitcher Rebbe had given him a brocha at birth for a full recovery and BH is all that I can say!

jewgal84

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 6:32 pm
I had my adenoids removed when I was in 9th grade. Took me a week to recover completely bc I still had blood coming out of my nose and throat. They gave me salt water to rinse my throat and to put up my nose, it was awful. I lost a couple of lbs bc I had no appetite. I went home the day of surgery. Am I completly cured from my heavy breathing, not entirely, but no complaints!

My 4 yr old brother just got hus adenoids removed as well. Same procedure, though he stayed overnight bc his oxygen was low after the surgery, he came home the next day.

Any more info?

stem

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 6:36 pm
Thanks for your replies.
I heard that they shrink over the years but I see that it runs in my husband's family. When I say huge tonsils I mean her tonsil takes up her entire side of the throat, touching her "hangy thingy". I don't want to end up removing them when she's in 9th grade, I'd much rather get it over with now when she's 4. The recovery is supposedly faster for little kids.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 7:12 pm
my second child just had them removed at age 3 (and tubes inserted). The surgery took about 45 minutes, we had to stay in the hospital for 3 hrs after that, then my child had to stay home for 12 days after. As soon as he woke up, it was very painful, however w/ freezepops and painkillers, we managed the pain. Every day,the pain lessened, and by day 12 he was 100% better, now my child hears well, and breaths well bh. Any more questions I can pm u.
Go for it!

bgk

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 7:32 pm
OOH, thanks for the question. we have the same problem now, Dr's pushing us to remove it, because my 4,5 y.o. son is a little bit behind in his development, very not active and the think it's from lock of oxygen.

But we tried 2 month ago a homeopathy and while he was taking homeopathy, he was breathing much better. But when we stoped, it went back to the same situation.

Also to the lady, who's child got a medicine to shrink adenoids - do you know how it calls?

Jo

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:03 am
One can do sleep studies where they monitor the child at night for episodes where they stop breathing and see if the oxygen levels fall. If he is a heavy snorer it might be worth doing to determine if that is happening and causing symptoms

Last edited by Jo on Tue, Apr 25 2006, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

ektsm

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:11 am
Talk to your ent

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:17 am
I don't remember the name of the medication. It was prescribed by the ENT. A person can always ask any surgeon what alternatives there are to surgery and how long can the patient safely wait to see if the symtoms are outgrown.
Certain types of surgery that are the bread and butter of many doctors are the types that make me skeptical. One of these is the theory that all children need the wisdom teeth removed. While I did let some of my children have them removed, I questioned it for others. The same is true of tonsils and adenoids. Sometimes it is very necessary and other times not. Get a second opinion and ask about options.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 8:22 pm
When I was a child, all doctors said it was good to remove the tonsils. My parents always refused. Now they all say it's bad unless there's a real medical reason. Go figure.

happyone

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 9:03 pm
Firstly, it's not considered elective, if it's medically necessary. Insurance will cover it. Like Jo said, a sleep study would be beneficial and would let you know if it's causing obstructive apnea. Unless there are complications, it's usually done outpatient, tonsils and adenoids takes approx. 45 minutes and they let you home as soon as your child is awake, drinks, pees, and vitals are stable.
good luck. Most ppl see tremendous improvement in sleep and breathing if that's the only cause.

shelly

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 9:28 pm
My son is four and also has HUGE tonsils that take up most of his throat. but he has no sleeping issues other than snoring, so we're ignoring it for now.

shanie5

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:30 am
my sons breathing was LOUD, constant ear infections too. the surgeon said it would be my decision if I wanted them out-it could improve his "quality of life". that left me really unsure.
next I went to a pediatric allergist. this dr put his arm around my son and said to me "if this were my child, I would take his tonsils and adenoids out as soon as possible." (his tonsils were so large that they could not remove the adenoids w/o removing the tonsils first! it was a wonder he could even swallow!!
so he had them taken out, was in the hospital overnight (I think) for observation, and the next few nights were awful!!! he would wake up crying and kvetching and in pain. tylenol w/ codeine helped somewhat. w/in 2 weeks he was fine, and we could not tell where he was sleeping just by listening for his breathing anymore.LOL LOL

the ear infections stopped, but he has constant sinus infections and allergies. neither bother him overmuch-but I cant stand the sniffling. in fact, the only way I know he has a sinus infection is when I find myself telling him to blow his nose and asking "did u take your allergy medicine?" when he says yes, it finally dawns on me that we need to go to the pediatrician for a sinus infection!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics