Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Reaping the "benefits" of office purchases

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 7:54 am
I buy our office's coffee, milk, some of the office supplies, etc., and occasionally the companies (Staples, CVS) give me a coupon for money off; do I have to give that to the office too? I buy some of their stuff, some of my own stuff, on my own accounts, and then just present the bills to them.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 8:13 am
You should pay for the office purchases separately from your own, even if being bought at the same store at same time. Get separate receipts for each purchase. In this way there will never be any questions asked or any doubts. If the coupons are given after an office purchase then they go to the office and vice versa.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 8:18 am
But it's all on my account! My Staples card, my CVS card, etc.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 8:21 am
Consider opening a business account. Sometimes stores like Staples offer better discounts to business customers.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 8:26 am
they don't want to. they say they're happy for me to take care of it. they have had these accounts in the past and don't want to maintain them.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 8:34 am
Well then ask them if they mind if you kept the coupons for yourself since it is your account and you are taking the time and effort to go and make the purchases. If they are fine with it then there is no problem.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 9:01 am
I say keep it. If its a big company or even a small one. They usually don't care and the coupon will go unused.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 9:13 am
I would aree, I think she is concerned about using something which might not belong to her which is stealing. That is why I said she should ask them what they think or if they care in that way there is no question

Brooklynite

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:06 pm
Perhaps this will help...

I once had an occasion where I went for training for the company and the course ended at 1pm, whereas at the office, I usually would work till 5. Since I couldn't clock in/out that day, the bookkeeper manually entered my workday as a full one. As I was done early, and close to major shopping areas, I went out and enjoyed, knowing that they won't expect me back at the company that day.

The next day, I was faced with the problem over whether I had to report my 'bonus hours' for $ deduction or not. My dh checked with a Rav for me and the Psak was that I should casually mention (to my boss) that I was done early and if he doesn't say anything, then I don't have to report it to the accounting dept. The Rav looked into it before giving this answer.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:26 pm
You should have called and asked. Or asked ahead of time.

I would have gone back for the rest of the day, minus a lunch break and the commute, of course.

Brooklynite

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:49 pm
Asking ahead of time wasn't applicable because according to the training firm, it was supposed to take a full day.
This was a one-on-one training and luckily, my instructor was great and we worked quickly. The fact that I was done early was my credit sorta...if I wanted to, I could ask more questions and work slower and actuallly get done at 5.

In retrospect, maybe I should've done that, but staying out certainly was fun... and I was pretty clear with my boss the next day about what I did with my time and he didn't seem to mind.

happyone

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 2:35 pm
SaraG, I say you could keep the coupons. I'd casually mention it to my boss at some point, no doubt he would agree.

ektsm

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 2:56 pm
Gosh I wish I Could do this.

square_peg

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 9:18 pm
I would think since they use your account, you reap the benefits. If you want to be sure, just tell them. Be especially clear. You charge their stuff on YOUR credit cards, and you get benefits. If they want to beneift from ordering, they should make a busienss account.

I betya they wont mind.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 2:41 am
It's very common in the business world, that when your company pays for you to travel, you keep the frequent flyer miles.
If you just ask your boss, he'll probably just say yes.
If you don't, you'll keep wondering, and you may even be doing something wrong.
So just ask.
If he says no, Hashem will find another way to get you what you need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics