Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
"It's about time" - your reviews?

SV

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:39 pm
Somebody just told me about this book. Did you find it helpful? Is it a good investment? (only $18 I know):

http://www.eichlers.com/Product/Books/Women's_Interests/Women_Interests/It's-About-Time-%5bHardcover%5d-_111-7.html

Thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:34 pm
SV wrote:
Somebody just told me about this book. Did you find it helpful? Is it a good investment? (only $18 I know):

http://www.eichlers.com/Product/Books/Women's_Interests/Women_Interests/It's-About-Time-%5bHardcover%5d-_111-7.html

Thanks!

No, I did not find it helpful at all.

SoCalMother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 8:06 pm
I didn't like it either. "Helpful advice" like "start your borekas early in the day."

Someone who needs help managing their time does not need to feel guilty about not making borekas (not to mention challa or cake!) from scratch!!

You want my suggestions?

1. Learn to love Imagine brand soups. Add some veggies.
2. Heat the store bought challa on the blech.
3. Do as much as you can on Thursday night.
4. Use frozen vegetables, disposable pans and cake mixes.
5. Cholent!
6. The freezer. (Did you know that kneidlach freeze really well?)

leomom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:17 pm
I found the attitude of the book a bit condescending. Most of the advice is common sense even for disorganized people (although they might not be doing the things that are common sense).

A few tips did stay with me like a voice in my head over the years. One simple line that is obvious but I needed to hear it was: "Store items where they are used." It is kind of surprising how often we don't put things in the smartest places.

But overall, no, I don't think it's a particularly helpful book. It might be worth reading once, but I'd suggest possibly borrowing it from someone.

Last edited by leomom on Thu, Jan 14 2010, 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

mimivan

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:47 pm
I like flylady better

mimivan

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:49 pm
SoCalMother wrote:
I didn't like it either. "Helpful advice" like "start your borekas early in the day."

Someone who needs help managing their time does not need to feel guilty about not making borekas (not to mention challa or cake!) from scratch!!

)

LOL...I'm really not so organized, but I make my own ravioli...(mainly because it keeps my kids occupied)..but yes, the mess! All that sticky dough.

SoCalMother

Post Thu, Jan 14 2010, 1:44 am
Well far as I remember it's all about preparing for Shabbat, not general organization.

Spend the $18 on disposable pans and some nice sauces to dump on chicken. I make the fastest Shabbat in the West.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics