Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Memorial Day for Israel's Fallen Soldiers

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 9:57 am
At 11 a.m. the sirens went off.

I stood and prayed to the memory of those who fought so I could live where I live.

I stood and prayed that the men my daughters marry, should they be soldiers, never be on the list of fallen that is played for 25 hours on Israeli TV.

I stood and prayed that sons I have with my husband live in a time of peace.

I stood and wept for the coming firestorm the government will ignite should they carry through with their plans to empty the West Bank.

I stood and wept for the terrible knowledge that it will be brother against brother. Father against son.

I stood and wept for Gush Katif.

For Amona.

Israel memorializes her fallen one night and day and the very next night and day is spent celebrating her statehood. Never before has the contrast been more pronounced for me as it is this year.

To be able to seperate the soldiers from those giving the orders. And despite following orders they may feel contradicts everything they stand for, they still put their lives on the line.

Agree or disagree with the government. Celebrate statehood or not.

But stand for the fallen soldiers.

Motek

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 4:33 pm
I think there should be a Memorial Day for Israel's Fallen Civilians.

As someone (not me) wrote:

Quote:
This year, I remember 1,118 people who have been murdered by our terrorist enemies in the past five years. I stand with their families in mourning over the incredible loss their deaths represent.

This year, I remember 24 communities that a year ago were flourishing outposts of humanity in a region of inhumane animals bent only on killing. This year, those communities no longer exist - torn out of the ground by a Jewish government in an action that, had it been committed anywhere else in the world, would have been condemned as an anti-Semitic pogrom. 8,000 people were left homeless by a Jewish government pledged to their protection. Most of them remain without new jobs. None have permanent housing, many do not even have adequate temporary housing, and few have been given the promised compensation, nine months after the lives they had worked so hard to build were destroyed.

The places where those homes once stood are now used by terrorists as training grounds and as launch sites for missiles aimed at other Jewish communities, as the murderous campaign of our terrorist neighbors continues unabated.

This year, I remember a time when the Israeli government represented an end to such pogroms around the world. When the thought of Israeli military reprisal was enough to scare off potential attackers and when the use of that military meant certain defeat for anyone not wise enough to be scared off. Now, the IDF is hamstrung by inept leaders and cowardly politicians more interested in appeasement than in victory.

Last month, though, Israel elected a new prime minister, a man quoted within the last year as saying, "We are tired of fighting. We are tired of being courageous. We are tired of winning. We are tired of defeating our enemies."

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 4:46 pm
can you give me the link to that please?

Motek

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 4:49 pm
http://www.israelnationalnews......=6200
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics