Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Health insurance

MMEC123

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 12:43 pm
Health insurance in NY is outrageously priced! DH is self-employed so we don't get any from his work. I am looking for a new job and I really would like something that provides health insurance benefits. I know it's probably too much to ask but I also prefer a frum work-environment that give off for YT without a questions. Any ideas if such a job exists?!?

nicole81

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 1:04 pm
when I was single I used to work for a company on 47th st that gave health insurance (after a few months though) and sick and vacation pay and you were payed for yom tov, too. the downside is that the pay was miserable, something like $350/week. I don't know if it is worth it to you to have the benefits, but if you're interested I can tell you what company, etc.

also, have you looked into healthy ny? it's still expensive, but not as much as as going through a private carrier. I think you can get family coverage for about $500/month.

MMEC123

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 6:21 pm
Thanks. I'd rather a higher paying job with no insurance (like what I currently have!).

As far as healthy NY goes, we make too much money to qualify (we used to be on it). The challenge for us is: we make too much to qualify for gov't subsidized, etc. but don't make enough that regular insurance is just easy pocket change!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 9:40 pm
ok, a few ideas...try frum companies (I work for Yeled VYalda). not sure what you do, but you can give it a try!!
Secondly, have you heard of HEALTHY NY? It's for working people, you don't have to be poor, you pay for insurance, but much less than regular.
good luck!

estherf

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 12:06 pm
I work for Claims Conference in Manhattan. It pays fine, provides insurance, pays for Yom Tovs. It does not have frum work environments but it is very Jewish. You can see them at claimscon.org or icheic.org.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 9:07 pm
I had the same problem. my boss doesnt offer insurance. however, empire blue cross will give a company plan to any company that has over 2 employees even if only 1 wants to be covered. its great. you can get company rates, and your boss doesnt have to pay any extra (he gets billed and takes it out of your gross paycheck, both you and he benefit on lowering taxes)
for more info, feel free to pm me, I know how frustrating working with insurance can be.

amother

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 11:05 pm
I dont live in NY, but can you apply for state insurance? That's what we have now, and its great. covers everything
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics