Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Crockpot chicken-n-rice instead of cholent?

sa613

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 3:33 pm
Is there such a thing as a chicken and rice "cholent"? Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for it? I've made the one pan chicken-n-rice dishes which I've heated on the blech for shabbos lunch but somehow the chicken is always dry. I'm thinking it may be moister cooked in the crockpot.

prettyone

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 3:38 pm
dont do it. it comes out really mushy and gross.

lkwdwife2009

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 3:42 pm
My mom always made it for the kids to eat yom kippur or just on a regular day when she'd be away until supper and wanted the kids to do it. Basically rice, water and onion soup mix, with chicken on top (sprinkle on some paprika and garlic). If you like, add a bag of frozen brocolli to bulk up and make healthy.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 3:46 pm
There's a yummy rice stew 'chulent' that I make. You need short grain brown rice for it, otherwise everything will be goopy.
Let me know if you want the recipe.

Mannys613

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 4:11 pm
Thanks for the recipe Ra mom! I made the rice stew a few shabbosim ago and we all really liked it here!

DovDov

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 5:19 pm
I've been searching the web for a good crockpot chicken and rice dish only to find the thread here on imamother... Could you post the recipe?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 5:41 pm
Mannys613 wrote:
Thanks for the recipe Ra mom! I made the rice stew a few shabbosim ago and we all really liked it here!

Thanks for the feedback Mannys613! Smile

Dov Dov, here's the recipe.

If using chicken, I suggest using boneless chicken thighs - as the bones in regular chicken pieces become too soft when cooking for so long and sometimes you get a mouthful of them - and because chicken breasts are too try.
Also, season the chicken a bit before placing on top of the rest of the ingredients.

sticky brown rice stew
*1 cup short grain brown rice (must be short grain, otherwise rice will "bust")
*1/2 onion, chopped
*2 cloves garlic, crushed
*2 tsp salt
*1 tsp teriyaki sauce OR dash cayenne pepper
*1 piece chuck meat
*4-1/4 cups water (use only 3 cups water if placing stew in a crockpot liner bag)

Place all ingredients in crockpot, with meat on top.
Cover and cook on LOW for less a little less than 24 hours.
Check salt amount when ready to serve.

sticky brown rice stew - soup mix version
*1 cup short grain brown rice
*4-1/4 cups water (3 cups if putting stew in crockpot bag)
*1 Tbsp chicken consume
*2 Tbsp onion soup mix
*1/2 tsp soy sauce
*1 clove garlic crushed
*1 lb. boneless chuck meat or flanken

Place brown rice in crockpot. Add consume, onion soup mix, soy sauce and garlic. Add water.
Place meat on top of the crockpot. (Don't push the meat down. It will sink into the water, but by morning it will be on top of the rice- inside super soft, outside nice and brown.)
Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then transfer setting to LOW and cook for the duration of Shabbos.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Feb 04 2010, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 8:34 pm
chicken and rice:

put equal amounts of rice and water in the bottom of the crock pot. add salt to taste, stir. spread chicken over rice to cover as much rice as possible. spice chicken to your liking. high 3-4 hours or low 7-8 hours.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 8:45 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
chicken and rice:

put equal amounts of rice and water in the bottom of the crock pot. add salt to taste, stir. spread chicken over rice to cover as much rice as possible. spice chicken to your liking. high 3-4 hours or low 7-8 hours.

mummie, have you ever tried this for the Shabbos day meal, and cooking over the duration of Shabbos?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 8:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
chicken and rice:

mummie, have you ever tried this for the Shabbos day meal, and cooking over the duration of Shabbos?

I've done it very often, but I make sure it's fully cooked and switch it to the warm setting right before licht bentch. if you cook it on low or high overnight any rice sticking out will burn and the chicken will be very dry. if you're going to keep it on warm overnight, it's good to check on any visible rice while it's still cooking. you may need to add extra water. it's smart to spray the crock with cooking spray before putting the ingredients in, cleanup is much easier. and it is very important to cover as much rice as possible with chicken. the fat from the chicken flavors the rice. any rice uncovered won't get the flavor and will probably get crunchy. I've never removed the skin from the chicken for this recipe, but you're going to need extra water if you do. much of the moisture in the rice comes from chicken fat. very yummy, if I may say so myself Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 9:03 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
chicken and rice:

I've done it very often, but I make sure it's fully cooked and switch it to the warm setting right before licht bentch. if you cook it on low or high overnight any rice sticking out will burn and the chicken will be very dry. if you're going to keep it on warm overnight, it's good to check on any visible rice while it's still cooking. you may need to add extra water. it's smart to spray the crock with cooking spray before putting the ingredients in, cleanup is much easier. and it is very important to cover as much rice as possible with chicken. the fat from the chicken flavors the rice. any rice uncovered won't get the flavor and will probably get crunchy. I've never removed the skin from the chicken for this recipe, but you're going to need extra water if you do. much of the moisture in the rice comes from chicken fat. very yummy, if I may say so myself Smile

I always wondered about keeping food on the KEEP WARM setting all Shabbos, and if keeps the food for the entire time at a safe temperature.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 2:00 pm
mummiedearest, I tried the KEEP WARM setting one evening, and it kept the food steaming hot for hours.
Thanks a ton for this tip! Smile I will try it for Shabbos one day.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 4:30 pm
It's not called cholent. It's tebeet. Basically it's a whole stuffed chicken (stuffed with soaked rice with or without meat) surrounded by rice, hard-boiled eggs optional. Though it's made with a casserole or a heavy pot on plata, but crockpot should work. It's not mushy at all.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 4:35 pm
I always cook my cholent completely before shabbos and switch it to the keep warm setting before shabbos starts.

shaini

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 7:21 am
I make a sefardi style rice and chicken cholent. Ingredients and quantities which are only for a one/two person serve are (so please multiply quantities as needed):

*rice - I use a mixture of white, brown and wild rice which makes for a more nutty style flavour. For one/two people I use heaped 2/3 cup;
*tomato paste - approximately two teaspoons. It's important not to put too much as the tomato paste tends to overpower the flavour if you use too much;
*tinned tomatoes - half a normal size tin, chopped and with juice;
*pepper - a very good shake;
*cinnamon - about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon;
*chicken - I use two chicken legs (drumsticks). You need to use parts of the chicken that don't get too dry when cooked and the skin must be left on for moisture but do be careful as the chicken bones get soft.
*water - about 1 1/4 cups - don't add too much as the rice then becomes horribly mushy.

Grease an oven bag/crockpot bag or crockpot all around with oil. This step is very important as the rice has a tendency to stick badly. Add all ingredients and mix well. Try to make sure that the chicken is covered so as not to allow it to get too dry. Cook on high for a short time before shabbas and just before licht benching turn crockpot to low.

When serving be careful as the bones of the chicken can come apart and also when eating as the bones can often be quite soft and break easily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus