Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Toronto

Petra

Post Sat, Feb 13 2010, 7:39 pm
Looking for kosher food in Toronto, near the convention center and walking distance. I won't have a car.
Also, recommendations on things to do in Toronto (alone). I'll be there for what else... a convention in April.

Marion

Post Sat, Feb 13 2010, 10:30 pm
There's a small dairy cafe in either First Canadian Place or BCE Place (I don't remember which!) called Oasis. Open Monday to Friday at lunch hour.

Nothing else is downtown. However, many places DO deliver...I think there's a website called KosherToronto and there will be a listing there.

As for things to do.
CN Tower
Hockey Hall of Fame (also in First Canadian Place)
Bata Shoe Museum
Royal Ontario Museum
Ontario Legislature
Eaton Centre (Shopping Mall)
Blue Jays' Game/SkyDome Tour (there are kosher hot dogs on level 100 if you get tickets to a game...)
Raptors' Game/Air Canada Centre Tour
Fort York (don't know if they're open yet in April)
Harbourfront (April might be a bit early...)
CBC tours
O'Keefe/Hummingbird Centre for the Arts

That's what's walkable from the Convention Centre, or at the bottom end of the subway line.

If you're willing to go a bit further afield there's also the Ontario Science Centre.

April's a funny time from the weather's perspective. Most of the outdoor stuff isn't open yet for the season as it's too rainy/cold.

Petra

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 12:15 pm
Thanks for the info. How is the subway system? I think my hotel is right next to a subway stop.

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 8:09 pm
Subway's good. I think around $2.50 (CDN!)/ticket/token. And I know they just changed the payment system, but I'm not sure exactly how. (I haven't been in since July.)

Luv2Bake

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 11:25 pm
Oasis Cafe (http://www.oasiscafe.ca/main2.html) is in the Exchange Tower on the corner of King and York Streets. Since you will most likely be at the Metro Convention Centre it is only one subway stop north on the University line to the St. Andrew station.

The subway fare is now $3.00 cash fare or you can get tickets or tokens 5 for $12.50, 10 for $25.

Petra

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 5:08 am
Great! I hope you can get subway tokens at any subway stop. Looks like this will save me from walking several blocks from my hotel to convention center (maybe).

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 5:33 am
Yes, subway tokens are available at all stations. You just need to check which entrance; some are automated (there are machines you can purchase tokens at), others have ticket booths/collectors.

Petra

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 11:07 am
Okay, I realized Oasis Cafe is not open on the weekend (sunday). Anything else open on Sunday? I'm coming on Sunday and don't have time to do a lot of shlepping to go get food to live on for 4 days. In fact, I have none.

I saw on the COR list there is an Eli's Cakes that is indicated close to the convention center and Isaac's Bakery and Cafe? Are these open on Sunday? They don't have a website and I'm too cheap right now to call international to see.

shlomitsmum

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 11:39 am
hermes bakery is open and kosher le pesach 416-787-1234 toronto kosher 416-7895333 does free deliveries , they have food and salads and nosh ,umami sushi 416 782 -3375 but all are around lawrence and bathurst .

JRKmommy

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 1:16 pm
It's walking distance (around 20 min) to the Ashei Minsk shul in Kensington Market (10 St. Andrew St., just north of Dundas off of Spadina). They have Fri. night and Sat. lunch meals.

http://www.theminsk.com/general.html

Marion

Post Mon, Apr 05 2010, 10:37 pm
Isaac's is nowhere near downtown (unless they've opened another one). And I wouldn't recommend it anyway...

Most of the kosher places are considerably farther north (at least Lawrence area...about 12 subway stops) than downtown.

Petra

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 7:54 pm
Okay, thanks. I guess I'll be packing a lot of snacks to tide me over until I can get to a place to stock up on kosher food.

How about kosher groceries downtown? Or a place that has a fair amount of kosher groceries?

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 8:30 pm
The closest place to buy kosher meat or bakery items is Loblaws at Bathurst and St. Clair, which is not walking distance.

You can purchase basic vegetarian items with a hechsher closer to downtown, along with basic fruits and veggies.

Again, don't hesitate to call the Anshei Minsk. They welcome tourists with open arms.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics