Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Riverdale - where do u send kids to school?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 10:13 pm
DH and I are wondering where families in Riverdale send their kids. There seems to be a LW yeshivish crowd at the YI and are wondering where on earth they go to school from nursery to even HS. For nursery and elem in riverdale there only seems to be very MO SAR or other secular schools and chabad (nursery). For elem...just SAR?. Then in the heights is breuers...and UWS is yeshiva katana and a number of MO schools. For HS do they send to Brooklyn? We are considering the community b/c my DH likes a rav in the community....but I can't figure out where we would send our children - all nursery and elem ages. Are there schools I am not aware of....or do people just send kids to MO schools...or travel to NJ or....????

thanks in advance

morahaviva

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 10:32 pm
Ok - elementary school - either Breuers, or for boys - Yeshiva Ktana if you want them nearby. Some send to Monsey - the girls to Bais Rochel, YSV, etc. the boys to Bais Mikra or others...

Mine go to Breuers for now, but planning on moving out of Riverdale shortly - outside of school, my kids just dont have anyone to hang out with - when they are little its fine, but as they get older the values are much further apart.

For HS many girls go to Manhattan High School, or to the Bais somebodies in Monsey. The boys- 2 are in the breuers mesivta, some at Ohavei Torah in Riverdale, and most shipped off to Queens, I guess.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 11:20 pm
morahaviva-thanks for your help. A few questions:
1) were you/are you from riverdale? If not, did you find it hard to make friends?
2) how do you like breuers?

speciwoman

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 4:43 pm
Some kids go to Stein Yeshiva in Yonkers for pre-school. It's only about 10 minutes away from Riverdale.

MommyZ

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 4:45 pm
We live in Washington Heights and love it here. Both of my older kids have classmates from Riverdale.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 8:31 am
Westchester day school is a bigger school than lincoln park

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 8:44 am
Wondering the same thing. My husband and I are definitely considering the area (close proximity to my work in Washington Heights and affordable apartments) We would probably fit in well with the young israel crowd there (my husband wears a black hat on Shabbos, I wear a wig etc) but wonder about schooling (despite not having kids yet) I could see sending a boy to yeshiva ketana on the west side, and I guess breuers for a girl, but obviously would want kids to have a 'chevra' in the neighborhood. Would love to know what others (like us) do.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
DH and I are wondering where families in Riverdale send their kids. There seems to be a LW yeshivish crowd at the YI and are wondering where on earth they go to school from nursery to even HS. For nursery and elem in riverdale there only seems to be very MO SAR or other secular schools and chabad (nursery). For elem...just SAR?. Then in the heights is breuers...and UWS is yeshiva katana and a number of MO schools. For HS do they send to Brooklyn? We are considering the community b/c my DH likes a rav in the community....but I can't figure out where we would send our children - all nursery and elem ages. Are there schools I am not aware of....or do people just send kids to MO schools...or travel to NJ or....????

thanks in advance

Some people on this board are actually MO. You are writing as if they don't exist.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 9:04 am
I don't think the OP meant any offense, or has anything against MO. I think she would like to send her children to non-coed schools (which there doesn't seem to be in Riverdale) She does not seem to have anything against MO (as evidenced by her desire to live in Riverdale, which is a very mixed community (and I think, a big draw. I for one have no desire to live in a place where everyone is just like me, but at the same time, need to know that when it comes to schools, there will be access to those with hashkafos similar to mine)

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 9:04 am
I'm not offended at all. The OP is looking for a more left-wing school., which is a tougher situation when living in Riverdale.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 9:06 am
Previous amother....when we lived there we sent to Stein and Breuer's for camp. And I had friends who's children went to school in NJ. Unless you really love Riverdale, I think it's a hard situation.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
I'm not offended at all. The OP is looking for a more left-wing school., which is a tougher situation when living in Riverdale.

Did you mean right wing? (Cuz it doesn't at all seem to me that she's considering left wing, as she feels SAR is too modern for her family )

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:25 pm
You will not find the kind of schools you are looking for in riverdale. Your kids will have to commute for elementary which is a big pain and won't really have classmates to hang out with on Shabbos.
Also, no one mentioned that tells in there. That's very right wing.
Anon cuz I moved from there.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 2:11 pm
Yes I meant right wing....oh my brain, where did I leave it...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 2:23 pm
westchester torah academy

amother

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
Westchester day school is a bigger school than lincoln park

Its also co-ed, and in many ways more liberal than SAR.

There are plenty of kids from Riverdale attending Breuers, and a lesser number attending Yeshiva Ketana, Ben Porat Yosef, and YNJ. On Shabbat, the little ones play in the park with the Modern Orthodox, secular and non-Jewish kids. I suppose the older kids hang out among themselves.

princessleah

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 7:54 am
I live in the same building as Rabbi Willig in Riverdale. There are many frum families in my building alone, and down the block there are many kollel families. I think Stein yeshiva in Yonkers is a good option, it is literally a 7 minute drive if you have a car. A lot of the kids in the building go to Breuer's or Monsey for school too. There is the Tels Yeshiva near Wave Hill and there's a Mesivta also-- two of the apartments in my building are dorms for the Mesivta boys!

I think between Chabad, the Kollel, Stein Yeshiva and the High Schools, you're ok. Plus if you don't have kids yet, why base it on that? There are definitely options and moving now is not a lifetime commitment.

בעילום שם

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
westchester torah academy

Have a few friends who have tried it only to be disappointed and then moved back to Westchester Day School a year later. One found the funds and moved their daughter into SAR.

Westchester Torah Academy may have been the 'cheap' school but between Westchester Torah Academy's tuition hikes and Westchester Day School tuition drops, the tuition rates are much more comparable. Tuition for some early grades at Westchester Day School are actually less than at Westchester Torah Academy.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:34 am
Since this was bumped up I’ll add that several families send their kids to YNJ in Bergen county.

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 1:52 pm
And I thought the question was where Archie, Betty and Veronica went to school : )
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics