Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Looking for scholarship

YALT

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 7:57 am
Hi!

Below is a letter Dina's sister wrote. About 6 yrs ago, I tutored Dina. I tried to get her parents to send her to a Jewish school. She is such a smart girl ka"h & was so eager to learn about yiddishkeit. She would count down the days to summer when she knew she was going to Jewish daycamp. She would insist her mother make hamantashen with her before purim. One day her mother asked me if I can spare some time on Friday to show her how to make a 6-braid challah. They make challah every week for shabbos, but Dina said that a 3-braid is not the real thing. I gave her my cookbook which showed her how to do it (and had alot of gr8 recipes).
I still keep in touch with this family. The older sister - Eva, went through the Public School system. She knows she does NOT want her sister going through all that. BH, though her journey was long, she found her way to the right school in EY. She's been begging me the past few weeks to make phone calls to see if anyone can help. Unfortunately, I haven't been finding the time to call when ppl are awake. So we decided to write to all our contacts.
Every dollar helps! Please help out! You can give your maaser, or the extra change you have at the end of the day. Or put away a dollar-a-day for her education. Or just give us a one-time check.
Please let me know if we can depend on you for anything. I really want to see Dina in a frum school. She is going into highschool in September. I'm sure you can imagine what happens in non jewish public schools.Please don't let her be tested in that way.

Don't forget that Purim is this week. It's a time for matanos l'evyonim.

Please forward on this letter to others who can help make the difference.

F. Topp
fay123@gmail.com

To Whom It May Concern:

The basis of Judaism has always been chinuch ha banim, education of children. Unfortunately, due to the sky high (to say the least) costs of Jewish Day schools, my parents haven't been able to send my sister and I to a Jewish school, to get the basic Jewish education every child should and deserves to get. Since we moved to America, in 2001, year after year my parents hoped to be able to make ends meet for the following school year. Every year they came to the sad conclusion that it was simply impossible.
Now that I made Aliyah and am attending a seminary I have come to understand how much I missed out on. It’s a truly amazing experience, and to think that I could have been learning torah for the last 12 years is a mind-boggling thought. I can never get back those years.
That’s why I am willing to do anything and everything in my power to prevent my sister from having to go through the same realization 5 years from now. That's where you come in.
Even if the Jewish school, Maimonides, gives my sister a 50% scholarship the tuition will still be at least $11,000. So I’m looking for sponsors who could help me put money together so that this dream of ours can become a reality.
My name is Eva Ginzburg and my dream is to help send my sister, Dina, to a Jewish high school.
Is there anyone out there who wants to help me fulfill this dream?

YALT

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 9:43 am
does anyone know of any organization that helps with this?
or a scholarship gemach?

shabri

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 11:23 am
Maybe contact Oorah?

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 11:29 am
Sorry for going slightly off-topic, I don't know which organizations do this but I know they're out there (oorah maybe?) but I couldn't help wondering - isn't $11,000 (after 50% off no less!) rather pricey? Maybe choose a different school and THEN seek assistance?!

YALT

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 11:43 am
they don't live in NY. they live out of town where there isn't much choice. the father will never let her go away so early for school. It's this school or no school.
we tried contacting Oorah. Waiting to hear back from them.
But I heard that Oorah are big talkers but the schools don't necc. see the cash
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics