Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
How much carrot/water = 4oz baby food jar?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 2:08 am
I have a great recipe for carrot kugel/cake. It calls for 4 baby food jars. Which, for a regular shabbos is fine to spend money on. But for purim - I'm making 20 of them which are half the size of the big ones, but I'd still need to buy ~40 jars. That's a lot of money and a ton of waste. I can easily boil and blend carrots. BUT, how much should I make, and what is the carrot-to-water ratio?

Could it be 50/50, carrot to water? Then 2 oz of carrot per jar, which means, 80 oz of carrots, and 80 oz of water?

Help!

TIA!

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 10:08 am
anyone?

beckster

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 12:57 pm
The way I make my carrot cakes, I just cook carrots, leave a little bit of the water (so it ends up a bit liquidy) and blend it. If I don't have enough then I add a baby food jar.
I don't think you should stress to much about it. I doubt it's 50/50, I think they just leave some of the water it was cooked in so it stays liquidy.
About the amounts, I think about 5 carrots = a cup of pureed carrots.
I hope that helps
GL

GetReal

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 1:10 pm
Can I have your recipe?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 1:12 pm
I agree with beckster. No need to be exact.

Cook up the carrots in enough water. Blend. Have an open baby jar of carrots. Compare textures. Add more water to your homemade puree and blend again, in necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes