Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Kibbeh's?

flower345

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 5:04 pm
Do any of you out there have an easy recipe for kibbeh? also what meat is used for it?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 7:24 pm
Filling: 1lb ground chuck, 1 finely-chopped medium onion, salt & pepper to taste, allspice, 1 tbsp tamarind, a handful each of chopped parsley and toasted pine nuts

Shell: 2.5 cup EXTRA-FINE bulgur, 1 cup flour, 3 tbsp oil, 1tsp salt.

For filling, sautee onions till transparent, add meat and cook till browned while breaking up lumps. Add seasoning, turn off heat and add parsley, pine nuts.

For shell, soak bulgur in lukewarm water for about 15min. Drain VERY well in a fine mesh sieve, mix in flour, oil and salt. Knead till you get workable dough (You may have to add a bit more flour, but don't add too much--otherwise you'll get tough shell with possible cracking risk).

Shaping is hard to explain--best if you can watch someone else do it. Pinch a small amount of dough (about a heapful big tablespoon), make into a football-shape oval (with two pointy ends) and hollow the middle with your finger. You may have to dip your fingertips in a small bowl with oil to avoid sticking. Stuff the inside with small amount (about 1 heapful teaspoon) of meat, seal the space completely. Don't stretch the dough too much (otherwise it will crack/explode while frying).

When you've finished making enough batches, you can fry them in about 2" oil in a frying pan. Since the filling is already cooked, you just fry till the shell turns nice brown colour.

mimivan

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 7:28 pm
yeah! Thanks for the recipe Mrs. Bissli!

flower345

Post Fri, Feb 26 2010, 5:56 am
thanks looks complicated..but will give it a go!

Tamiri

Post Fri, Feb 26 2010, 6:01 am
I posted this http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....94502 a while back. All the great flavor of kubbe but without the work.

baba

Post Fri, Feb 26 2010, 8:15 am
I wish that just once I could find a recipe that is even slightly similar to the kubbe (Iraqi) my grandmother used to make.
It was made out of red rice, not fried, but really soft and sooooooooo good.
Actually, I'd already be happy if someone had a similar red rice recipe.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Feb 26 2010, 8:26 am
I don't know what kashrut you keep, but in Or Yehuda there is a place called "Etzel Nadra" where all they make are different kubbas. I don't know all the types, and have only been there once so I am not much help. But... if you are in the area....

baba

Post Fri, Feb 26 2010, 8:33 am
Ooooh interesting, I might try that. Though dont know when I might be around there.
I actually stopped buying kubbe a long time ago cause I just kept getting disappointed. You really cant compete with the homemade safta kind that takes 3 days to make!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Feb 26 2010, 9:33 am
baba, is that the one you add to the soup that tastes like a cross between steamed dumpling and meatballs? I know of kibbeh with rice flour outside (thought it was more persian...) but not from red rice.

baba

Post Fri, Feb 26 2010, 10:45 am
I'm not sure. Maybe it is rice flour, cause it really looks like a dough, but we always ate it on pesach, so I'm sure it's made out of rice. And it's definately red, but that might be from soup, though it is not served in a soup, but rather on top of red rice. I cant even describe the taste, it's something from my childhood that I loved. I wish I could somehow recreate it (though I doubt I'd have the patience to prepare it for 3 days

qeenB

Post Sat, Feb 27 2010, 11:32 pm
I have an authentic Iraqi recipe that I will I"h post when I get a chance

baba

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:35 pm
Oh please do, if it's the same, or even remotely, I'd be very grateful!

qeenB

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 10:00 pm
this is a recipe I got from my mil. for the dough use semolina flour mixed with a bit of salt and water until you get a good consistency. let it sit and prepare the meat mixture. to a pound of lean ground beef add finly shredded onion and a nice amount of fresh chopped parsley, salt and pepper. mix together and then form the kibbehs by pinching off pieces of the dough and flatten it on the palm of your hand, add a small amount of meat mixture and carefully close the dough up and around the meat until you have a nice shaped ball. it helps to keep your hands wet. when they are all formed and ready you add it to a soup. the red soup is a beet soup that you saute a large onion add a few chicken pieces for extra flavor and water, add to that a couple of ground beets or beets cut in small cubes. add salt pepper a teaspoon or so of sugar and juice of 1-2 lemons . let it cook for a while and then add the kibbehs by gently placing them in the liquid. cook for about 20-25 minutes on a low flame. serve over basmati rice. alternalty you can just add the kibbehs to any chicken soup and they taste delicious.
a few tips, if you are using a beet soup you can prepare that first and while it is cooking you prepare the kibbehs and then you can add them right in. taste the beet soup before you put the kibbehs to make sure that you have enough salt and that you have a good sweet sour consistency.
you can make a whole lot of the kibbehs and freeze them raw and take out when you want to add to a soup instead of always having to prepare the whole thing from scratch everytime.
I new I was doing it right when my brother in law was visiting and told me they were as good as my mil's!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics