Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do I teach my kids to share?

smileyface

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 3:01 pm
Hi have a 3 yr old and an 18 mo old, and all they seem to be doing a whole day is fighting over toys.
My 18 month old pulls toys away from the older one or messes up what hes playing with so the 3yr old, either throws him to the floor or hits him really hard.
If the 18 month old is playing with s/thing nicely the 3year old just goes and pulls it away and says its mine.
Ive tried time out and that isnt working, any Advice on how to get the to playing nicely together with out fighting and pulling things aeay from each other.
?

TIA

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 5:29 pm
My kids nursery's motto used to be "sharing is caring". Teachers repeated the concept so many times the phrase and spirit behind it was drilled into the kids minds. Also there are picture books teaching children how to share and to take turns--check children's libraries.

Having said that, my 7.5yr old and 5 yr old still fight over the same toys/books/keyboard. The easy cop-out solution would be get two of the identical things but it's not economical and won't help them to learn how to share. I just monitor so that they take turns after X minutes.

mommalah

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 5:35 pm
I remember reading a while back that it is unreasonable (from a developmental standpoint) to expect a child under 3 to share.

anon

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 8:17 pm
mommalah wrote:
I remember reading a while back that it is unreasonable (from a developmental standpoint) to expect a child under 3 to share.

Yes, your 18 month old is absolutely not ready to share.

What helped me immensely to teach my 3 yo to share with my infant was the Gibor Chart from Dina Friedman's phone parenting course. I am way too tired to explain it, but maybe someone else here who is taking the course would like to share. You would probably have to start a separate thread so that the title would catch the eye of anyone taking the course. Sorry, but my head is just not functioning at the moment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics