Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Extra potato from potato knishes

campmommy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 11:52 am
Anybody have any ideas what to do with the extra filling from my potato knishes. I always make too much and never know what to do with it.
Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 11:56 am
Serve it as mashed potatoes for dinner tonight, and top it with sauteed rings of onion.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 12:31 pm
How about shepherd's pie?

Does it have raw eggs in it? If not, you can cook up a couple sweet potatoes & mash it together with the potatoes. Add some sauteed onions, salt & pepper, & a little oil/margarine/butter - it's a delicious side dish.

campmommy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 12:43 pm
Shepherd's pie is a great idea, but I don't have any ground meat in the house - shucks! Yes, it has an egg in it. Thanks for the ideas - anyone else?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 12:45 pm
How about latkes. It actually tastes good with cooked potatoes.

3Qts

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 3:35 pm
Roll in crushed corn flake crumbs and bake
Freezes well too.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 3:38 pm
Like flowerpower said, you can make latkes. Or you can bake it in a pan and serve it as is.

DovDov

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 10:15 am
You can just bake in a pan -- that's the easiest. Top with mushroom sauce or stir in sauteed onions and garlic if you're feeling fancy.

Is it parve? I bake mashed potatoes with some tofu, mustard, and cheddar cheese mashed in. The tofu doesn't affect the flavor, so it's equally good without.

Mashed potato latkes are good, but they taste very different from grated potato latkes. My grandmother used to serve mashed potato latkes in the soup instead of kneidlach, definitely for Pesach, but other times too.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 3:17 am
You can make mock knish kugel. Spread out the mashed potatoes in a pan and brush egg wash over it. Sprinkle it with sesame seeds and bake until golden. (You can add fried onions to it if there are none in it already.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes