Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Kugel w/o eggs,cheese,nuts, or sesame

murm

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 12:12 pm
my son is allergic to eggs ,cheese ,nuts and sesame, and I need kugels to make on shabbos or other good side dishes for a shabbos day meal. thanks.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 12:34 pm
Eggs kind of hold the kugels together.
So unless you use an egg substitute, I would make other side dishes for Shabbos day.
You can put a homemade loaf of kishka in the chulent and slice it up Shabbos day.
Cold rice salad for lunch is another idea.
Potato salad.

louche

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 12:42 pm
Though I prefer to serve it as dessert, many people make cranberry-apple "kugel"--I'm sure there is a recipe for it somewhere here. It calls for oatmeal, sugar, flour and margarine in the crust and apples, cinnamon and cranberry sauce for the filling. You can make it less sweet by omitting the cranberry sauce and reducing the sugar. Margarine holds the crust together.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 12:06 am
Potato kugel minus eggs

Enough sliced potatoes to fill a 4 qt bowl
1 medium zucchini grated by hand on small holes(it will not come out good if you do not grate by hand!)
1 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion
3/4 cup oil heated in a pan

grate onion first. then
Grate potatoes
pour into a bowl and add hand grated zucchini. flour , and S&P
Pour boiling oil, mix fast, and put in 9x13 pan

Bake at 350 till browned on top, allow to cool completely, then slice.

It will be runny when its hot, once it cools, it will hold together even when its reheated. This is my own experiment, so far other people I gave it to, love it also. Hope it works.

Most pastry dough is egg free, borekas are a great kugel replace.

I also do eggless sweet potato pie, and butternut squash kugel.

Bake butternut sliced squash (lengthwise) face down till soft

Scoop out seed and discard. Scoop out flesh into a bowl, add cinnamon, nutmeg (no relation to nuts, we are nut free and are fine with it.) 1/2 -3/4cup of flour, 1/2 c applesauce 1/2 c sugar

Add a little water if the squash is too hard to mash and mix

Place in pan, or in muffin cups, bake at 350 for 45 minutes

Do the same with the sweet potatoes. Sometimes I add the sweet potatoes into a frozen pie crust.

murm

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:42 pm
thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I will try them out
just curious is s/o in your family allergic to eggs? you see to know alot about food w/o eggs

murm

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:46 pm
thanks louche but I already make that kugel , and thanks ra mom but potato salad has maio which is eggs unless you have a diff. way of making it.....

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 1:10 pm
Can he have soy flour? I remember once reading that - forgot what amount of - soy flour and water can sub for an egg.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 1:13 pm
murm wrote:
thanks louche but I already make that kugel , and thanks ra mom but potato salad has maio which is eggs unless you have a diff. way of making it.....
I've made potato salad with olive oil. With the right amount of spices and cut veggies, it tastes great.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 10:15 pm
murm wrote:
thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I will try them out
just curious is s/o in your family allergic to eggs? you see to know alot about food w/o eggs

My kids are allergic to everything on your list Plus about 20 other foods.

I have had a few years to work on egg free recipes.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 10:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Can he have soy flour? I remember once reading that - forgot what amount of - soy flour and water can sub for an egg.

egg subs do not work in kugels, or in anything that has more then 2 eggs that need to be replaced. 3 eggs if your really lucky.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 10:42 pm
how about whipped sweet potatoes or tsimmmes? I find that some things just aren't good once you have to start subbing ingredients.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 11:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
murm wrote:
I've made potato salad with olive oil. With the right amount of spices and cut veggies, it tastes great.

Olive oil has a nut contamination issue. Sometimes the oil presses do nut oils too.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 12:06 am
I have a potato kugel substitute:

mashed potato cookies

1 potato per person
oil
salt
pepper

I usually use olive oil, but other should be fine.

cube potatoes. boil until very soft. drain. mash. add oil until the mixture is nice and gooey. salt and pepper to taste. shape into cookies with two spoons or squeeze from a pastry bag into shapes. place on cookie sheet. bake until golden brown. it should be crispy outside and mushy/creamy inside.

enjoy!

Chippies

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 9:18 pm
You may already know this, but a good way to search for eggless, pareve dishes is to search online for vegan meals. Here are a couple recipes that I found in my search:

http://scratch-sniff.blogspot.......html
http://vegetarian.about.com/od.....l.htm

I often use silken tofu as an egg replacement. It works very well for desserts, but I've never tried it for a kugel before.

Also, for potato salad dressing, we use balsamic vinegar and oil. In my opinion, it's far tastier than mayo.

imb316

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 11:54 am
pineapple cranberry bake from one of the kosher by design cookbooks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes