Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I'm curious...how do they know?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 11:25 am
this is what I'm wondering about: you know how certain people are always the first to be "in style" when a new trend first appears? the ones who are always the first to sport a new fashion and let everyone else know what is going to be the fashion that everyone will be wearing for the new season? so, if they are the first to wear something, how do they know what everyone is going to be wearing? I know what everyone's going to be wearing once I see everyone wearing it, but I always wonder how do the first ones know to wear it? and what about the people whose kids are always dressed so trendily (is that a word)? usually you have to shop for new kids' clothes before every season since they grow, unlike we moms who can wear the same clothes for years if we happen not to be particularly stylish types. so if you're buying your kids' stuff before the season started, how do you know what fashionable kids will be wearing that season if the season hasn't even started yet? I'm baffled. not that I'm going to change the way I or my children are dressed or anything, since I have my own style which is more or less immune to changing fashions, but just out of curiosity about how they do it. when I was younger, I knew certain people in my community as trendsetters, always first to wear the season's latest, and I just assumed that they were the ones who created the styles and everyone else would then wear whatever they are wearing (which would mean you had to wait till the season started so you could see what the trendsetters were wearing and then do your own shopping, but whatever.) but that doesn't really make sense since the styles these people would sport were not just limited to my own community, but appeared in the rest of the world and the non jewish world as well. so maybe they are sitting around reading magazines or whatever that predict what will be the "in" thing and go by that? or do they maybe have a direct line to the people 9are they celebrities) who actually do think up the new definitions of style? and what is with the children's fashions? are there magazines or whatever dedicated to that also? What

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 11:29 am
There are tons of fashion mags out there. Also, if you shop in trendy stores, they're going to carry the newest trends.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 11:33 am
there are many pple into fashion and who follow style!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 12:31 pm
I buy In Style or Vogue or Bazaar every few months just so I can keep up and see whats going on. Tons of online information also to see, and besides, I happen to be very observant of what people wear. Its just the way I am, not in a superficial way but if I'm buying s/g new, it may as well be cutting edge. I also wear tons of old stuff and turn it into s/g new with new accessories, a belt or wearing it a new way. If you have the 'flair' for it and it's something you enjoy it's really not hard to follow...

louche

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 12:39 pm
All you have to do is shop the big stores at the start of the season. Of course, buying what's on the cutting edge and managing to not look stupid in it are two very different things. Being cutting-edge and looking good at the same time takes talent.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:22 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
There are tons of fashion mags out there. Also, if you shop in trendy stores, they're going to carry the newest trends.

What she said.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 2:55 pm
thanks for enlightening me, everyone! obviously I was aware of the fact that there are fashion magazines out there, have skimmed through one or two, it's just that I personally find this stuff kinda boring, so I guess I'm a little naive about what it involves. now shopping online, that's something that's right up my alley! good websites I haven't used or heard of yet, anyone?
and, am I the only one who finds it so much more fun to dress my young kids than myself? their stuff is so much cuter, both cuz it just is and also cuz its so much smaller, and they can get away with so much more when it comes to what they can wear and come across as cute, not dorky.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 3:07 pm
Saks, neiman marcus, nordstrom, bloomingdales, j. crew. Subscribe to their website mass emails-hey send out 'trend alert' emails so you can see whats in even if you shop in cheaper stores. Also you'll be alerted their promotions, free shipping and sales.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 3:07 pm
not to add to your confusion:

the funny thing for me is to see how different the styles are in america and in israel. the skinny leg is only coming here now, my sisters have been wearing that style for years. there is this weird mc hammer pants thing going on in israel, for quite some time, and I only saw americans wearing it last year and not before.
my sister (non-religious) is always very stylish, but she works in fashion and has to be on top of trends.

fmt4

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 7:09 pm
Israel is always yearssss behind in their trends.

Platform shoes have been out for about 10 years, but no one alerted the Israeli public. I used to cringe every time I saw Israelis wearing those horrible huge trashy platforms, among other cringe-worthy Israeli trends.

Funnily enough, ten years later, platforms are in again. Now they'll probably be out in Israel. Tongue Out

yummydd

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:32 pm
Mommeeeeeeee! wrote:
thanks for enlightening me, everyone! obviously I was aware of the fact that there are fashion magazines out there, have skimmed through one or two, it's just that I personally find this stuff kinda boring, so I guess I'm a little naive about what it involves. now shopping online, that's something that's right up my alley! good websites I haven't used or heard of yet, anyone?
and, am I the only one who finds it so much more fun to dress my young kids than myself? their stuff is so much cuter, both cuz it just is and also cuz its so much smaller, and they can get away with so much more when it comes to what they can wear and come across as cute, not dorky.

I too hate shopping for myself yet I love shopping for kids...

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
not to add to your confusion:

the funny thing for me is to see how different the styles are in america and in israel. the skinny leg is only coming here now. . .

Where is here? In America skinny jeans have been in for several years now. Maybe you're just noticing them, but they've been here for many years now.

Funmommy

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 9:46 pm
When people start wearing things that are different, it becomes the style!

chocolatemilk

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 10:24 pm
just a few wks ago was NY fashion wk all the fashion shows had the designers collections for fall 2010 so now ppl already know what will b 'in style' in the fall
plenty of warning time for all those ppl who want to b 'on trend'
also some ppl also r able to just sense what will b 'in' next
when I was younger I remember that I really wanted a mermaid cut skirt and couldnt find one anywhere. next season everyone was wearing mermaid skirts (of course I had to wait til they went out of style to be able to afford one but....)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics