Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How long to clean your oven?

Seraph

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 9:51 am
I just spent time cleaning someone's oven for pesach. It was filthy and disgusting; it was 2 compartments. I wasn't even able to finish it, but with the stove top and the 2 compartments in the oven, it took almost 4 hours!
Granted, the oven was filthily disgusting and I was doing a thorough job... but still. It took so long!

How long does it take to clean your oven? Is it one compartment or two? Including the stovetop or no?
Do you clean your oven only for pesach, or do you clean it in the middle of the year as well? Do things spill and cake on to your oven?
How thoroughly of a job do you/your cleaner do? What do you/they use to clean it?

I used a scraper, steel wool, sponges, shmatas, st moritz, toothpicks, popsickle sticks, etc.

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:07 am
I have a self cleaning oven and we clean up any spills right away. Our oven had a bit of ash in the bottom, but was generally not dirty. There were some black burnt on spots on the door that had to be cleaned off and the sove top pieces had to be cleaned as well and then everything had to be self cleaned.

The stove top gets taken apart, sprayed down with Sano Forte black bottle oven cleaner (works better than St Mortz and barely smells) when ever it is dirty. Sometimes that is weekly and sometimes it is monthly.

I still spent an hour total (in 5-10 minute spurts) on the oven and stove top. The pieces were sprayed down, scrubbed and rinsed, all cracks were sprayed and tooth picked/tooth brushed, the oven door and gasket were cleaned, the oven was pulled out and sides of the oven washed and my husband took the drawer out and washed it. We don't use the drawer under the stove, but stuff falls into it.

We only have one oven compartment and ours is self cleaning which makes a huge difference. After the hand cleaning was done it looked close to new (can't wash away the dents!) and we put it on to self clean, which takes another several hours, so if you want to count that it would be a lot more time.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:09 am
I'm not sure how long I'll spend total.
I did the stove top (sealed burners, no drip pans) and boo hoo, I couldn't get it as spotless as last year. This is with using Fantastik (so halachically I'm covered), and steel wool and elbow grease. I let the burners and other shmitchiks (the caps under the burners) soak, scrubbed them off.
I scrubbed the hood, inside out. We cover that too anyway.
I put the oven on self clean for a few hours. Have yet to wipe that out and the door.
We'll be taping the storage section down below (what was broiler area in older ovens) but I'll wipe it down.

B"H, manageable. I don't have my cleaning crew this year but B"H I think we're doing ok. Or maybe I'm denial, which is why I'm on the computer now.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:13 am
for us, it used to be an arduous project and more than once stuff would get in my eyes and they'd swell up.

I'd spray and swab out, and then repeat. then dh would go over it.

bh for self cleaning; it costs something to run it, and it's hard on the oven, but it's very handy !!!

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:38 am
My stove top is separate. It doesn't take long to do...spray (Rassess v'nagev), let sit for a few minutes, wipe down. I wipe spills immediately so my stovetop is generally pretty clean anyway. The knobs & burner caps get soaked overnight in laundry detergent/hot water and the flame turned on. And I lift the stovetop, spray, and wipe, to get any crumbs underneath. Maybe 1/2 hour, plus the overnight soaking.

My oven I am also careful with. Only cakes go in uncovered, so I have no splattering. Sometimes I have some ash in the bottom...it's been there for almost 2 years and been sprayed so many times (Sano Forte, the black bottle) that it's definitely not edible. My oven is NOT self-cleaning, but it is almost spotless anyway. (Let's not discuss the fingerprints on the outside:) ) In any case, any removable trays are removed and sprayed, the inside is sprayed and left for a few hours, then it's wiped down (soapy hot water). After that it gets put on as high as possible for about 2 hours, and it's done.

I don't toothbrush, toothpick, or anything else. I'm a little bit compulsive about my kitchen being clean so it's not a huge deal, and from a chametz perspective all that disgusting spray is more than sufficient to make it mevutal.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:27 pm
my stove top took about 25 minutes.

Oven went through 1 self clean, then I vacuumed out all the ash, rinsed off all the grates. and burner pieces that were in the self clean. scrubbed out the oven door, and put everything back for a second self clean cycle.

I guess real elbow grease time is about 1 hour. 9 hours of self cleaning cycles.

cubbie

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:12 pm
I don't have self cleaning and I would say it takes about 3 hours including waiting time to do the stove, I spray it, leave the spray on for 2 hours, that way the spray does most of the work, after that I wash it out and concentrate on any stubborn parts that need extra work, so it's about an hour of actual work.

QUEENY

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:50 pm
I just self clean my oven and now it's broken. I'm sitting by the phone waiting for the repairmen to show up. I'm trying not to panick.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 3:36 pm
Last year we used Easy Off and it took 4 hours.

This year we used St Moritz. Took out all the pieces. Spritzed everything. Allowed the St Moritz to do its job. Scrubbed with steel wool. Brought to bathtub to wash off.
Took 1.5 hours.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:00 pm
stove top and oven together took two hours. it is not self cleaning at all, but we cover the grates with foil all year round so that it is not that bad as well as the surface of the stove top as well, so there is really minimal dirt and grime that has to be taken off.
the oven is not that dirty either. there really is not that much splatterings in the oven. I mostly cook things covered and the few times that I dont, its not very liquidy things anyway.

freidasima

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 4:15 pm
You won't like this but self clean and about 10 minutes work all inclusive. I keep it clean all the time. Do the grates once a week. Have burner bibs out of aluminum all year long. Wipe up spills immediately. Have different racks and two different grates for the top but to get 4 new ones just cost too much, each burner was over $100! We stopped at two and the other two cover with aluminum foil.
After self cleaning just wipe down with wet paper towels and it's done. Wipe down the door inside, 1 minute. Let grates sit in St. Moritz and shpritz the top, rinse off. Take off knobs, wash and dry.
Except for the self clean which I only do erev pesach, I do this every week. Stays clean that way.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 5:40 pm
How do you wipe up spills immediately when the fire is lit, stove is hot with a heavy hot pot on it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics