Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My baby hates baby food!

IloveHashem613

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 11:32 pm
Hi! I have a 6 1/2 month old baby girl and she's my first so I have little experience and I'm hoping to get advice from those of you who do. I just started her on rice cereal mixed with breastmilk last week and baby carrots this week. Both of which she absolutely despised, clamped her mouth shut and turned her head away every time I tried to give her a spoonful. Is this normal? I'm scared she's going to nurse forever! I mean I know she'll eventually eat food but how long does the process take until they get used to and enjoy eating food from a spoon? Any advice, ideas, tips etc... I'm going to start her on applesauce or bananas next week, I'm hoping I'll have more luck with that...

mominlkwd

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 11:44 pm
Don't stress out my kids were all like that. I just asked my dr. at my dd 6 mth visit and he told me to keep trying it sometimes takes a week for them to like it. My kids all basically skip the baby food stage and don't really eat until they can eat bread, chicken etc. Right now we starting giving her the gerber(?) puffs. They are star shaped airy baby food in a few flavors ( sw. potato, banana) and they disintigrate in the babies mouth. I find that my kids don't like to be fed so these we just put on her tray and she eats them herself, which is also great for her coordination LOL

Good Luck!!

yummydd

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 11:51 pm
I found my baby liked fruits better, also homemade veggies rather then the bought jars, you can make it more tasty etc. Also I had to start my dd on real milk very early as she refused to drink formula even in cereal.

6coop

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:07 am
Out of my six kids, 4 hated baby food. I basically kept trying for a couple of weeks, gave up and waited until they were able to eat table foods. Initially I had to feed them table food piece by piece because they weren't coordinated enough to pick it up themselves. It was a bit of a pain, but it didn't last that long. One of my kids wouldn't eat anything (she was 10 months and also wouldn't take a bottle!)and I ended up having her evaluated and she received feeding therapy.

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:41 am
Mine didn't like the finely pureed & strained texture; they wanted chunky! Play around with taste and texture. (And if you've ever sniffed it, you'd understand why she doesn't like rice cereal...)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 5:06 am
some babies are just not ready to start with "real" food at 6 months. dont force her (my pediatrician kept on stressing that to me) to eat. she will eat it when she is ready to, trust me Smile

also, just keep trying different things, and if she really does not open her mouth, just wait a week or two and try again and keep waiting a while between if it does not work. it will eventually work, as my MIL said, nobody goes to their chuppa breastfeeding Smile

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 5:09 am
I started both my boys at 6 months.

Netanel refused to have anything to do with solids until he was 9 months old. Then he'd eat jarred baby food without any problems.

Elchanan has refused baby food since I tried to give it to him. When he was 10 months old he started eating table food.

SZH

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 9:27 am
my baby went straight to table foods, she never really ate pureed foods

5770Mom

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 2:04 pm
Hello,

My twins did not like apple because it is too sour. Try the following. Mash a banana, add boiling water ( like this the fruit is more easily digested, raw fruit gave mine diarrhea). Mix well. Drain through a sieve and add just a bit of rice meal, let cool. The first cereals should be really soft more like a smoothie.

Regards,

Noa

DovDov

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 12:29 am
We never gave baby food. At six months, we started to offer soft finger foods -- cubes of avocado, peas, banana, lima beans.

Amital

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 1:56 pm
NONE of my kids have liked baby food, especially cereal. With my youngest (now 7.5 months old), I finally found baby-led weaning, which is basically the idea that kids will want to feed themselves and will eat this way. They actually seem to advise giving the kiddo whatever you are eating, maybe softened up at first.

I've taken it to mean giving him soft fruits and veggies (some cooked, like carrots, some raw, like avocados), and then introduce new foods every couple of days like the more common baby food advice. I cut up things like melon into french fry shapes for easy grabbing and let him go to it. He actually eats (some) like this--granted, a lot ends up elsewhere, but my goal is to teach him how to eat in addition to feeding him, so I don't mind. Sometimes we go for the messy foods, and other times, we stick with something less messy. But he enjoys this!

Google baby-led weaning for specifics, and adjust however it works for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics