Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Apple juice triangle k?

speciwoman

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 11:29 am
Is Mott's Apple Juice with a triangle k ok? I have heard differing opinions.

Thanks.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 11:41 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

In that thread I said that I'd called Star K, and they told me that if I'd already bought the juice, it was ok to use, but if I had not, I should buy juice with a reliable hechsher.

speciwoman

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 12:18 pm
Thanks. The situation is that my babysitter put some in one of DS's bottles and I wasn't sure whether or not to throw out the bottle. I guess it seems like it would be alright. I'll ask my rabbi just to be sure.

I was confused in general about the product because I used to go to an Orthodox minyan where they had it every week, so I wasn't sure what the deal was.

Thanks!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 12:26 pm
There are different opinions about triangle K. IIRC, they have a problematic stance on shchita, so most people do not rely on them for any meat product. For other products, if you have a choice between triangle K and another hechsher (more reliable), then you should go with the other one. Brach's (under the Vaad of Queens or the Vaad of the Five Towns) carries Mott's products.

I see you live in Riverdale. Call Rabbi Willig. He's part of the Vaad of Riverdale, and will definitely be able to advise you.

cassandra

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 12:28 pm
We don't rely on triangle-K for everything, but we do for apple juice. My local Vaad accepts it.

pinkbubbles

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 12:39 pm
This is so weird for me to see- here, we are allowed to have any fruit juice as long as it has no grape juice inside it. There are no hechshers on anything unless you buy a product made by a Jewish company.

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 1:45 pm
I'm curious-- what have you all been told about raisins with triangle k? (sunmaid)

We were told that anything with oil in it is a big no no for triangle k. I think for instance, sunchips--- I think they're triangle k and made with oil.

torahtots

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 6:25 pm
Growing up, we didn't eat foods with a triangle-k but we did drink Mott's and eat raisins with a triangle-k.

To my understanding, the issue with triangle-k is that they supervise too many products and don't have enough mashgichim to visit all those factories as often as they should. But probably we should look it up instead of me just saying what I think I heard!

Anyway, a cold liquid will not treif a bottle. If you accidentally pour out a bottle of milk into your fleishig sink on top of all your dishes, it's fine as long as the milk was cold. (This actually happened and that's what my parents' Chabad rabbi said.)

hila

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 12:43 am
If it is from Motts PA - it used to have a reliable hechsher ( I know who used to be the mashgiach) but I have no idea who is there now. I actually visited the plant with him and was impressed at the time with the means used to keep kashrut.
However he is no longer there and I have no idea how makpid they are nowadays. He was pretty strict with them and would not let them carry on with a run,if he was not happy with circumstances and ingrdients. This could cost them a lot of money - so they tried hard to keep things kosher.

They do make total trief (clemato juice) in the same place - and the process is a hot process. So it is not "just pure juice"

Peanut2

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 8:56 am
You don't need to throw out the bottle. It wouldn't matter what liquid or juice she put in there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen