Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Schlissel challah
1  2  Next

How do you make your schlissel challah?
In the shape of a key  
 14%  [ 15 ]
With a key baked in it  
 57%  [ 59 ]
neither, I don't do this  
 20%  [ 21 ]
Other please explain  
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 103

challi

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 12:06 am
Every year my husband and I debate. Do you put the key in or do you make the challah in the shape of a key. I grew up putting the key in, he says make it in the shape of a key.

What do you do?

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 12:08 am
Never heard of it before Imamother.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 12:09 am
I chose both because either I do one of each or put the key into the key shaped challah.

Motheroftwins

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 6:41 am
I've never done it. But I want to do it this year and am not sure what I do.....Do I just stick a key into the dough? Then what??

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 7:01 am
Motheroftwins wrote:
I've never done it. But I want to do it this year and am not sure what I do.....Do I just stick a key into the dough? Then what??

Some people wrap a real key (the key to their front door usually) in aluminum foil or baking parchment and bake the key right into the Challah. Others bake their Challah in the shape of a key. Others sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds on top in the shape of a key.

Here is something I wrote a couple of years ago:

Quote:
I make Challah on a regular basis, all by hand. I love the feel of the wet and dry ingredients as they come together. The velvety feel of the sifted flour, the creaminess of the beaten eggs and oil. The satiny smooth texture of dough perfectly balanced in sticky to dry. And the smell... oh... the smell of the yeast gives my Shabbat kitchen just the right earthiness. And when I'm ready to punch down the dough, the first and second time... I put my ear to the huge mass and listen to Hashem's creation at work as the yeast interacts with all the other ingredients as it pops and crackles.

And then... just when I think my appreciation for Hashem's creation can't get any better... I get to make a bracha! On dough! I get brownie points (pun intended) for doing something as basic as baking!

Now, with regards to the Schlissel Challah (Key Challah) it's a segulah for wealth and a happy home. often people will bake the key to their front door into the challah.

1. Based on "Pitchi Li Achoti, Ra'ayati..." ("Open up, my darling..."--Shir HaShirim 5:2), on which the Medrash states "Pitchu li petach ke-chudo shel machat...," (cf. Shi HaShirim Rabbah 5, s.v. "Kol Dodi Dofek") = something like "Open your hearts (in teshuvah) like the eye of the needle, and I (God) will open the rest like [a very large opening].

2. According to Kabbalah on Pesach the gates to heaven were open, and following Pesach the lower gates are shut, and it's up to us to open them again, therefor on the 1st Shabbat we put the key on the challah to show that through the mitzvah of Shabbat we are opening the locks [original source?].

3. In the desert the Jewish people ate from the manna until after Pesach upon entering the land (with the bringing of the Omer, see: Josh. 5:11), at which point the ate from the produce of the land, and became dependant on their livelihood for the first time (now they had no manna). The key in the challah after Pesach is a request the God should open the Sha'arei Parnasah (gates of livelihood). Alternatively, the manna began to fall in the month of Iyyar, and this Shabbat is always Shabbat Mevarchim Iyyar.

And as far as knowing if it has worked for anyone? Who knows... when I get a Bracha from Hashem, I have no way of knowing WHY I received it. I just thank Him that did.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 8:16 am
I buy a frozen loaf and put any key in it.

lollypop123

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 8:31 am
I did frozen challah 2 years ago and last year I got challah from the bakery and braided it myself and then put the key in.
This year I am actually very excited, cause I am looking foward to making challah with my kids.
I got a great recipe and is looking foward.

I am so excited Hooray

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 8:40 am
I put a key into my challah. I've always wanted to make a challah in the shape of a key but I have no idea how. How do you get it to retain it's shape? My challah is kind of wet and even if I add flour it still spreads while baking. The only way I can think is to mold it out with aluminum foil and even that I don't think would work to well. Does anyone have directions (or pics) that go step by step?

allergypro

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 9:17 am
I do both. one with our house key, and one in the shape of a key

estibesty

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 10:48 am
im in trouble my kids where just by my talented nieghbor waching her make her challa into a key shape adn they are begging me too but im a klutz in the making things look pretty situation.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 12:47 pm
estibesty wrote:
im in trouble my kids where just by my talented nieghbor waching her make her challa into a key shape adn they are begging me too but im a klutz in the making things look pretty situation.

I put a key-shaped blob on top of one challah. Kind of looks like a gimmel ;-)

bagellox

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 5:52 pm
why not do both?????

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 5:54 pm
I made dough after work and cleaned up a random key and put it in.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:23 am
Ok, I have not had a lot of success with challah baking in the past, but I really want to do this this year.

Any recipes for a challah novice???

(I'm really good at baking other things...just never mastered challah)

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:55 am
Mirabelle wrote:
Ok, I have not had a lot of success with challah baking in the past, but I really want to do this this year.

I posted a recipe for you here: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....46189

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:58 am
Mirabelle wrote:

I wish I knew how to do the link thing. I did find the recipe I posted if you want to look it up, Feb 21 at 5:56, forum: Challah and bread, subject: kitchen aid mixer and challah recipe.
As you're a newbie, I would use the original proportions of

2 and 1/2 c. warm water
7 tsp. yeast
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
6 Tbsp. oil
1/2 c. warm water

When it's time to add the flour, if you're doing it in the mixer, start off with 6 - 7 cups, adding a cup at a time up to about 10 cups. (I usually put the flour in my large kneading bowl, stir in the liquid, then add the flour as needed.) (Thanks, YeshaSettler.)

This yields three loaf size challahs, or 3 free form on a cookie sheet.
It's a wonderful and easy recipe.

(Yes, a fair amount of sugar, but it's not terribly sweet, just a little. Trust me, my family wouldn't go for something sickly sweet.)

Last edited by PinkFridge on Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:04 am
PF, you forgot to write how much flour to use.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 1:18 pm
I shape a regular challa and then form a little key out of dough and put it on top of the challa. I never heard of anyone shaping the whole challa into a key. Technique or photo, anyone?

LeahRivka

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 4:25 pm
Baked mine today with the key inside. Put the key in foil and leave a corner sticking out so I know where it is in the challah.

preempservices

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 6:42 am
I do three - put the key in and turn, bake it wrapped in foil, and a key shaped blob on top.
My problem now is that we only use combination locks, so there isn't really a key. Last year and this, we used the key to my husband's car - which could really use a segulah. Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note