Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Does it make sense??

frimamom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 1:13 pm
I have a grandparent that passed away recently and had 3 names, but then I have a grandparent (still living) from the other side that has one of the 3 names. Does it make sense to give my baby 2/3 names or should I go up a generation and give a full name of someone who was niftur 50 years ago???

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 1:21 pm
Not sure if this is a possibility but someone in my family had this situation and they asked my grandparents if they would mind if they used his name since they really wanted to name after this person (who had passed within the year) and my grandfather gave his approval so they used that name. If my grandfather wouldn't have let they wouldn't have done it though.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 2:40 pm
Sure it makes sense to give 2/3 or 1/3 of the grandparent's name if you cannot give all 3. Many people do that. But many though would not give it at all because naming partially after an ancestor is not the same as giving their complete name.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 2:45 pm
mominlkwd wrote:
Not sure if this is a possibility but someone in my family had this situation and they asked my grandparents if they would mind if they used his name since they really wanted to name after this person (who had passed within the year) and my grandfather gave his approval so they used that name. If my grandfather wouldn't have let they wouldn't have done it though.

I'm named after my father's mother & I share a name with my mother's mother. I believe the reason my parents asked (and my grandmother said yes) was because my father was an only child. I believe this is pretty uncommon though.

hadasa

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 2:46 pm
Yes, it is acceptable to give part of a name if you can't give the full one. My husband's grandfather was given 2/3 of a name.

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:
mominlkwd wrote:

I'm named after my father's mother & I share a name with my mother's mother. I believe the reason my parents asked (and my grandmother said yes) was because my father was an only child. I believe this is pretty uncommon though.

That's interesting. I always thought my grandfather said it's ok was because he has B"H so many grandchildren.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 4:07 pm
mominlkwd wrote:
amother wrote:
mominlkwd wrote:

That's interesting. I always thought my grandfather said it's ok was because he has B"H so many grandchildren.

My grandfather was niftar 2 years ago & I would love to name a baby after him. My dh's grandfather has the same first name & dh won't even consider asking. He said it is just not done. B"H, dh's grandfather has many grandchildren. Also, my aunt's (mother's sister) mil passed away many years ago & her name was the same one that I share with my grandmother. Not a single one of her grandchildren (from this side) have named after her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names